Locked Processors - Processor Benchmark

I have three ATTinyies to play with - a 13 and a 85-20pu. I have had no problems programming the 13 with the ArduinoISP running on a uno card. I could not program the 85.

After extensive reading of posts going back years, fixing some obvious impediments (signature - is there a list of proper signatures some where), it appears that the 85 is a general problem to program thorugh the arduinoISP. Sometimes you get it, somethies you get sync problems. I tried various reset preventions, reset protocols, Board.txt, avrdude.conf, various cores, libraries..... My final - and very reliable fix ended up to be none of the above. I simply reduced the baud rate from the PC to the ArduinoISP to 9600 (In programmers of avrdude.conf and boards.txt). Upload is now 100% relliable on both types of controllers.

After that background - how do I tell how fast my processors are going? All three when approached by avrdude seem to be locked. I think they are running at 1mhz. Maybe this is why the Arduino Uno programmer could not keep up. Again though Avrdude - lfuse, hfuse and efuse are all 0 and locks are also 0. Would love to unlock them but do not have a high voltage programmer.

I hope this is a programming topic.

Jim F - pulling what little hair I have left out.

(signature - is there a list of proper signatures some where)

Well of course each chip has it's signature bytes listed in their specific AVR datasheet, but that can be very time consuming to look through. The quickest way I found to find or verify signature byte values is to open the file avrdude.conf that is in your arduino core folders in your favorite editor of choice and do a find command. That will eventually find the signature values of every AVR chip that AVRDUDE works with.

Lefty

I simply reduced the baud rate from the PC to the ArduinoISP to 9600 (In programmers of avrdude.conf and boards.txt).

Are you using Arduino IDE 1.0?

Yes. V1.0 I am. and a avrDude of 5.11.

It seems difficult to tell the version of ArduinoISP and other libraries I am using. For example to go to 9600 - I mispoke above, I changed the code of ArduinoISP (Serial.begin(9600)) and I guess Programmers in Avrdude.conf. When scanning history, I found a lot of variance in boards.txt recommendations.

If I load a blink program using the 8mhz board type (ATTiny85 8mhz), thing run 8 times slower than I would expect. When I use 1 mhz - things move at the expected speed. The 8 mhz ATTiny13 seems to work ok - a second is a second.

I wish I could see my fuses.

Jim