logic help :: SOLVED

I am not sure what the right terms are for describing this issue so I will start out by describing the project. I have two separate Arduino boards - each has one switch and one LED connected to it. The boards are communicating via RF.

What I am trying to figure out is how I would have the LEDs on both boards light up if either one (or both) of the switches on the boards are turned on. Here is the twist: I also want this to be able to also work if there are more than 2 boards communicating.

Thanks in advance!

More explanation please

If there are say, 3 boards, each with a switch and an LED what should happen when each combination of switches is turned on ?

Where is the challenge? This seems extremely straightforward. For each device, periodically send a random message if the switch is "on". Continually monitor the receive. If any message is received, turn the LED on. If no states have been received after some time out period, turn the LED off.

UKHeliBob:
More explanation please

If there are say, 3 boards, each with a switch and an LED what should happen when each combination of switches is turned on ?

If any switch on any other board is turned on, every board would need to turn it's own light on. In other words, the combination or number of "on" switches doesn't matter. If one single switch is on, the LED on every board would turn on.

My logic will handle that.

aarg:
Where is the challenge? This seems extremely straightforward. For each device, periodically send a random message if the switch is "on". Continually monitor the receive. If any message is received, turn the LED on. If no states have been received after some time out period, turn the LED off.

I could see this working. Thanks aarg! Any advice on what to search for to figure out how to code a timer? I haven't ever done anything like that before.

bkirkby:
I could see this working. Thanks aarg! Any advice on what to search for to figure out how to code a timer? I haven't ever done anything like that before.

Try the "blink without delay" example that ships with the IDE