Long distance Beam break sensor

I am looking for info on a long distance infrared beam break sensor. The only thing I have found is a 10 meter distance. I know they are out there but don't seem to see anything more than 10 meters. I need something that will beam break for around 150 feet for a horse barrel race. Just a simple infrared stopwatch for barrel racing is my project. Any thoughts or idea's would be appreciated. Thanks

cornisland99: I am looking for info on a long distance infrared beam break sensor. The only thing I have found is a 10 meter distance. I know they are out there but don't seem to see anything more than 10 meters. I need something that will beam break for around 150 feet for a horse barrel race. Just a simple infrared stopwatch for barrel racing is my project. Any thoughts or idea's would be appreciated. Thanks

I think you'd be pushing it to find an outdoor, or indoor for that matter, IR setup that would work over that distance. 50 metres. That's a loooong way. An IR laser beam might be able to do it under the right conditions, but getting it aimed right would be a PITA.

Laser is an option but alignment will be fun. At least you woul be able to see the light.

Weedpharma

Not sure if you mean your finish line is 150 feet ACROSS or 150 feet from the start ?

Anyways, this is a perimeter intrusion thing in a lot of ways and anything that goes out over 30 feet or so is laser or microwave territory. PulseLight makes a nice LIDAR but it's $120 mwave makes microwave beam break stuff

search MCB-150 microwave

and quad IR sensors http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/SBQ-250

You could wire up a PIR and use an XRF wireless (ciseco) cards to send signals back and forth.

Lots of ways to do this, not many of them very cheap.

Lots of 2-beam IR barriers on ebay for <$50 that claim to do 100meters outdoors.
Leo…

Wawa:
Lots of 2-beam IR barriers on ebay for <$50 that claim to do 100meters outdoors.
Leo…

Most say “up to”. I’d like to see one do it reliably on a bright sunny day. I just saw one for close to $100 that says “up to 250m”, too, but i’ll bet that’s under pretty dark, overcast conditions. I might be wrong, though. I’d be happy to hear if someone has had good success at long range with non-laser IR. Pretty powerful transmitters are needed as distance increases.

It all depends what the receiver is looking at. Bright sky/dark background. And how good the optics are adjusted.

I made once a remote control with four IR LEDS, driven to max safe current. And could operate a TV across the street (60meter) with that. Without optics.... Leo..

The receiver needs to be looking down a telescope so that the only thing in the field of view is the transmitter.