Long distance communication between arduino's

Hi!

I am wondering if it is possible to have two Arduino's connected across great distances, say 50 km (30 miles). That when I push a button on one Ardino, a light goes on at the other Arduino and vice versa.

My question: What would your approach be to tackle a project like this?

Thanks!

Cell phone modules and satellite modems can be used over those distances. If you have an amateur radio license, that too.

I've not found any modules that transmit more than a few miles.

The current record for low power LoRa modules is over 700 km (balloon flights).

The main limitation on ground is line of sight. From the top of a 10,000 foot mountain, that distance is over 100 miles.

Some of the LoRa units claim some really long distances in the tens of miles but they usually only get that with line of sight.

There are a number of solutions in the amateur radio world. You could potentially go worldwide with that.

jremington:
The current record for low power LoRa modules is over 700 km (balloon flights). The main limitation on ground is line of sight.

Wow. I knew it was a long way. Didn’t know they’d gone that far.

This documents 766 km, with (I believe) 25 mW power: A New LoRaWAN Distance Record - Hackster.io

Sjoach:
Hi!

I am wondering if it is possible to have two Arduino's connected across great distances, say 50 km (30 miles). That when I push a button on one Ardino, a light goes on at the other Arduino and vice versa.

My question: What would your approach be to tackle a project like this?

Thanks!

Well, there's this thing called the Internet...