Long distance connection

Hello,

I'm looking to transmit data in real time from an arduino device to a dot matrix or similar display board which would be situated at least 3 to 5 KM away from the arduino itself.

Does anyone know if this is possible or is the range too large?

Kind regards,

D

Perfectly doable using the Internet.

Wireless look at LoRa. But even wifi can do this with the right antenna and a bit of breaking of laws.

Thank you for the suggestions thus far, I'll definitely look into LoRa.

opendavid:
Does anyone know if this is possible or is the range too large?

How can anyone possibly know, you have provided no details on how much data you want to send, how fast or how often not have you given any clues as the the environment ?

You do need to study the legal limits on duty cycle in your part of the World.

There are not many frequencies where you can legally transmit more then 10% of the time which can significantly reduce the data throughput.

Define real time
Detail the data you want to send.

A 2x2 dot matrix of the status of light switches is fine.

A 125x125 matrix for 10 channels of engine telemitry might be a bit tough.

PerryBebbington:
Perfectly doable using the Internet.

+1

With line of sight, light can be used.

GoForSmoke:
+1

With line of sight, light can be used.

The internet largely uses light...

For sure Perry but here I mean visible light like an array of COB leds at the back of a box at the center of a dark area.
The detector would be at the back end of a long flat black pipe behind a focusing lens. A line of sight between is required.

Relatively cheap but it would not work in occluding weather like rain or snow. Shade both ends, works in the sun.

GoForSmoke:
For sure Perry but here I mean visible light .

I realise what you mean! I was trying to be funny!!!! :confused:

GoForSmoke:
For sure Perry but here I mean visible light like an array of COB leds at the back of a box at the center of a dark area.
The detector would be at the back end of a long flat black pipe behind a focusing lens. A line of sight between is required.

Relatively cheap but it would not work in occluding weather like rain or snow. Shade both ends, works in the sun.

I was thinking lasers.... but with that description, now I see the light.

dave-in-nj:
I was thinking lasers.... but with that description, now I see the light.

Well, I'm tempted to say that the internet uses lasers....

@opendavid,

My apologies, buried in the poor attempts at humour there are some good suggestions here, which ones are right for you only you can decide. When you have a better idea of what you want to do maybe come back for more information.

Good luck with your project.