Long duration projects

I'm going to use the arduino UNO board for a permanent solution where I'll be using it everyday continuously. Do I required to add heat sinks or cooling fans to avoid any heating issues. (I am using a external 12V supply to power up the board)

I have had a Yun going for about 9 months now with no extra fan or heatsink. It does get warm but not hot. I think my power supply is 9 v.

If you had a power supply closer to 6v you would waste less energy / heat.

Pauly: I have had a Yun going for about 9 months now with no extra fan or heatsink. It does get warm but not hot. I think my power supply is 9 v.

If you had a power supply closer to 6v you would waste less energy / heat.

6V is too low for the onboard regulator. You can feed 5V through the 5V pin with an external regulator, but if you want to use the onboard regulator you need at least 7.5V.

If you go with anything over about 9V things may start to get warm. Usually isn't a problem at 12V unless you've already got heat issues with the environment or something.

If you can use 7.5V supply for the Arduino barrel jack, the 5V regulator will be happier - it's the only part that gets hot from excess voltage. http://www.dipmicro.com/store/DCA-07510

Andre_Leonardo: I'm going to use the arduino UNO board for a permanent solution where I'll be using it everyday continuously. Do I required to add heat sinks or cooling fans to avoid any heating issues. (I am using a external 12V supply to power up the board)

You can power the board from the USB jack. Just run it into a 5V USB wall adaptor (many of them have a USB jack). Then no heat is dissipated in the voltage regulator. I like to use the 2A kind, to support any additional circuitry I might have connected.

It's easy and doesn't require any soldering or special connectors.

Hi, Don't forget that unsigned long currentMillis will rollover at 4,294,967,295.

Tom.... :)

TomGeorge:
Don’t forget that
unsigned long currentMillis
will rollover at 4,294,967,295.

But that is not an issue if you use it correctly like:-
(current - last) > interval

So according to you guys it is good to go with a 5v usb wall adaptor

It depends what else is using the 5V power produced by the Arduino. An LCD display with backlight is a good example of something that will overheat the Arduino powered from 12V. If it is working now then it is probably going to work for 10 years.

For reliability I would incorporate a watch dog into the software.

I'm using three ultrasonic sensors and 433Mhz Rf transmitter and 4 LEDs to indicates status