Long movement arm programming

Hi Guys,

New here, but wanting some guidance from you experts if possible.

I am trying to create a type of small ‘wash/dry’ system

I just need a screw type actuator rail with 100cm stroke, to move it’s entire length and back again in a continuous loop as soon as power is connected. This is important as I will not be present when this happens. Power will be on a simple timed circuit so once it reaches a certain time of day it will turn on power to this circuit

I will use the actuator to drive a water spray bar inmost simple form

Is it simple todo?

Ideally I wanted to buy something ready programmed or as easy as possible todo. Or pay someone else to program it todo this simple continuous movement task

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Best Regards

Rich

Making a motor run in both directions until it hits a limit switch at each end of movement is trivial.
Knowing how much weight the device needs to hold or how much force it needs to apply as it moves is hidden information that only you can reveal.

Moreautomation:
Hi Guys,

New here, but wanting some guidance from you experts if possible.

I am trying to create a type of small ‘wash/dry’ system

I just need a screw type actuator rail with 100cm stroke, to move it’s entire length and back again in a continuous loop as soon as power is connected. This is important as I will not be present when this happens. Power will be on a simple timed circuit so once it reaches a certain time of day it will turn on power to this circuit

I will use the actuator to drive a water spray bar inmost simple form

Is it simple todo?

Ideally I wanted to buy something ready programmed or as easy as possible todo. Or pay someone else to program it todo this simple continuous movement task

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Best Regards

Rich

I am sorry to write that your design is patently ridiculous. A simple chain drive with sprockets has been used for years to do what you describe. Attach the spray nozzle to the chain at one point and it will go back and forth as the chain moves. No computer, no electronics, simple and foolproof. Just control the electric motor power and it is done.

Paul

Screw actuators 1m long will be rare and expensive. Look at industrial CNC equipment like wood routers. Chain or rubber "timing belt" like most 3D printers will be easier and cheaper.

Thanks for your input guys, I have seen - 1m stroke screw actuator on Amazon I believe for about 120 quid without motor/ controller etc just the slide and screw / rail . Whether it’s good or made of monkey metal time would tell.

This project was meant to be simple but getting more and more complex.

I do get what you have said Paul, just trying to get my head around the chain loop system, the main issue I can see with this... correct me if I am wrong but the spray bar is going to move along the top of the chain, then it will go around the cog and move the opposite direction along the bottom

The main issue with that is the spray bar is going to basically be a moving rectangle.

If you imagine the thing you wanted to wash is in a raised platform . The spray / dryer frame is going to totally surround it. Top/ sides/ and underside . It will have high pressure water jets from all sides, and also dry from all sides

The reason I favoured the actuator is because it moves in the same plain continuously . Meaning my rectangle moving spray/dry section can remain as close to the thing you want to wash as possible

It still might be doable with a small chain/ cogs I guess there would be minimal difference on the return height .. it might help the dryer actually as it can get closer as it goes along the top section of the chain it will be closer to the underside of the item that needs washing. Then visa versa. I think I will explore this option

Many thanks

On the other hand, you seem capable of making what you need by using a threaded rod of any length you need. Add two nuts to carry the washer. Add switches at the end of travel to reverse the motor. And then you can worry about the driving motor and gearing to the screw rod.

Paul

Yes I get you, I guess it will be some trial and error on my part but many thanks for your input.

I gave most of the materials for the build at hand now, using heavy plastics and 316 grade stainless steel as everything needs to have the best corrosion resistance

I will post again if I manage to build it!

Many thanks