Long range arduino to arduino comunication

Hi, Can anyone recommend me a good transmitter and reciever modules for my project. I'll be making a FPV RC plane and I'm looking for radio modules with long range. Law is not really a problem here,since I live in a place where nobody cares. I was looking for something that can give a range of about 5km,if that is even possible. Does anyone have idea what should I look for? Maybe LoRa SX1278 can work?

Law is not really a problem here,since I live in a place where nobody cares.

Wow...which place is that? :)

Nikola19992: Law is not really a problem here,since I live in a place where nobody cares.

But some people on these forums are reluctant to give advice on illegal activities.

Indeed on a lot of forums your not allowed to discuss illegal activities.

I don't think it's illegal where I live

Allright, I've searched online and it says that I can fly it at distance of 500 meters without a problem,if it's not in a city or a place where is a lot of people. Also I can fly it at longer range but I need to write down where I'm going to be flying and and at what time.Also I can't fly at night.

Nikola19992: I've searched online and it says that I can fly it at distance of 500 meters without a problem,if it's not in a city or a place where is a lot of people. Also I can fly it at longer range but I need to write down where I'm going to be flying and and at what time.Also I can't fly at night.

Interesting rules, the 500m limit is likley because its not a good idea to be flying planes when you cannot see what is going on around you, like the rescue helicopter coming up out of sight of the very limited view that FPV provides.

Where in the World are you ?

That’s Croatia,but honestly,nobody will tell you anything here,unless you break something

Well if your contemplating writing your own RC system, be aware it can get quite complex, dealing with all the various TX protocols, telemetry and flight controllers.

There are not that many open source systems available, which is an indication that its not an easy bit of programming.

As I am sure you are aware there have been open source long range RC systems, capable of way in excess of 5km, available for several years. They use modules such as the very low cost RFM22\SI4432 and are available ready built or as PCBs. So there is no particular reason to use the LoRa devices.

Nikola19992: Hi, Can anyone recommend me a good transmitter and reciever modules for my project. I'll be making a FPV RC plane and I'm looking for radio modules with long range. Law is not really a problem here,since I live in a place where nobody cares. I was looking for something that can give a range of about 5km,if that is even possible. Does anyone have idea what should I look for? Maybe LoRa SX1278 can work?

You need to work out your requirements for latency, data rate - LoRa is very slow compared to anything else BTW, its main advantage is long range on extremely low power when sending a few packets a day - not a good fit to drone control/telemetry where low latency and higher datarates are probably required and there's no practical limit on power available given the battery size!

I'd suggest something in the VHF band at 100mW or so, FM or spread-spectrum. Check out standard RC hardware in the first instance, there's a whole ecosystem out there to do this.

You are governed by EASA - the same rules apply to all it members

EASA and Drones

What about SX1278 433mhz E32-433T30S UART SMD 8km 1W at 115200 baud rate? Would that be good for my project? SI4432 seems to have too small range,chineese people say 1000meters,I think it's much less,about 500m. I searched online but I can't find anything that's arduino compatible,fast,and has good range,I'm open to any suggestions.

Nikola19992:
SI4432 seems to have too small range,chineese people say 1000meters,I think it’s much less,about 500m.

Well you and the Chinese would be wrong.

Conventional RC control systems will go further than that and systems such as OpenLRS were developed specifically to offer m ore range, not a lot of point in developing an LRS system (Long Range System) if it is actually worse than the conventional offerings.

try a couple of NRF2401 breakout boards with preamps, LNA's, and external antennae. There's a guy on this forum who sells good ones. Then go to GearBest or BangGood and get a 2W 2GHz linear amp for the xmit side. look up some good antennae. That's the EASY part.

After that, and you have wasted a bunch of time and effort (but maybe learned some things), study up on open source flight controllers.

I'll give NRF24L01 a try,they are cheap so I have nothing to loose. What about transmitter amplifier? Can you recommend me something good? What about this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-kits-70W-SSB-linear-HF-Power-Amplifier-For-YAESU-FT-817-KX3/282715582606?epid=517120732&hash=item41d329708e:g:fHsAAOSwdzVXocmI

123Splat:
try a couple of NRF2401 breakout boards with preamps, LNA’s, and external antennae. There’s a guy on this forum who sells good ones. Then go to GearBest or BangGood and get a 2W 2GHz linear amp for the xmit side. look up some good antennae. That’s the EASY part.

After that, and you have wasted a bunch of time and effort (but maybe learned some things), study up on open source flight controllers.

Datapoint: nRF24L01’s plus LNA, PA, whip antennas got me < 20m range at 2Mbaud. Anything at microwave frequencies is going to underperform compared to VHF.

[ I suspect a more sensitive receiver than the nRF chip is needed anyway, its designed for 2.4G where noise levels are very high so a deaf receiver is OK (you detect fewer local microwave ovens that way). If staying with microwave higher power like that 2W and choosing a quieter band than 2.4 would be wise ]

Nikola19992: I'll give NRF24L01 a try,they are cheap so I have nothing to loose. What about transmitter amplifier? Can you recommend me something good? What about this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-kits-70W-SSB-linear-HF-Power-Amplifier-For-YAESU-FT-817-KX3/282715582606?epid=517120732&hash=item41d329708e:g:fHsAAOSwdzVXocmI

Did you actually read the description ?

Why would an amplifier designed for 3.5Mhz to 30Mhz be suitable for a NRF2401 ?

If your thinking of desinging your own long range radio control system, you need a real good understanding of things RF.

There is the safety issue to consider, its not a good idea to build an RC system and have the drone\plane fall out of the sky at random due to inadequate design.

70W HF linear amp is not a 2W 2.4GHz amp, the numbers are important you know!

I got confused,so will it work?

MarkT: 70W HF linear amp is not a 2W 2.4GHz amp, the numbers are important you know!

MarkT: 70W HF linear amp is not a 2W 2.4GHz amp, the numbers are important you know!

Yes, I understand that,but I can't find anything like 2W 2.4GHz amplifier on ebay. Maybe you could give me a link or something