Long range Magnetic Stripe reader

Hello everybody, I would like to construct using an arduino micro-controller a long range magnetic stripe reader. The device would be able to read a magnetic stripe card at a range of 1-2m.
I'm a kind of newbie in this.
I will really appreciate your help guys.

Thanks

You won't be able to do this. The magnetic stripe has to be moved across a reading head, in the same way that a tape recorder operates.

This is not technically possible with existing technology.

That's what motivated the development of RFID and contactless payment.

And thank god it isn't possible or somebody could walk up behind me with such a device and read my credit card from inside my pocket.

catidegla:
Hello everybody, I would like to construct using an arduino micro-controller a long range magnetic stripe reader. The device would be able to read a magnetic stripe card at a range of 1-2m.

You also have to get one of those to get the PIN code ;D

Can OP please let us know the context of the use.

Weedpharma

I don't think the context matters, it can't be done.

Thank you all .

This device will help me to open my garage from my car by just being around with the appropriate card .
So if it cannot be done with a magnetic stuff
What do you advise guys ? Smart card reader ?

Zealot:
You also have to get one of those to get the PIN code ;D

What do you mean ?

That picture was a joke about reading the PIN of a card.

A smart card has not got the range, this sounds like a project for an RF remote control.

catidegla:
What do you mean ?

If what you want to do could be done, then scammers would have done it long ago. They would then only need your PIN number and the best way is via video camera.

Weedpharma

How about using Bluetooth? Upon connection after a predetermined time period, it opens the door.

If you want it to work just by being near then you need to look at long range RFID tags like those used for French motorway tolls.

Much simpler just to use a 433 MHz transmitter/receiver pair.

Russell.

russellz:
If you want it to work just by being near then you need to look at long range RFID tags like those used for French motorway tolls.

Much simpler just to use a 433 MHz transmitter/receiver pair.

Russell.

Yeah I was using a RFID tag system where the detector was just at the entrance. So when I come around my garage with my RFID card (2m) , It opens it. I was burgled at home and the thieves were able to open my garage without the card. (I always have my card with me). So I probably said his thugs were able to clone my card distance and used it. After several days of research, I realized that the magnetic cards can not be cloned distance. Hence my interest on a system based on it.

Move. If there are burglars smart enough and close enough to you that they can copy your RFID card, then that's not a house I want to live in.

Or pay a real security company real money. Almost anything you invent for yourself will be less secure.

So I probably said his thugs were able to clone my card distance and used it.

I very much doubt that. There are much easier ways of bypassing that system than cloning your card, but I won’t go in to it here as you don’t want to spread that sort of thing round in a public forum.

I realized that the magnetic cards can not be cloned distance.

Yes this is because it can’t be read at a distance.

DrAzzy:
This is not technically possible with existing technology.

Magnetic fields fall off as the inverse-cube of distance, so once you are
a few mm from the stripe the signal drops below the earth's magnetic
field strength and a few cm it will fall between the sensitivity of a SQUID
which are quantum magnetometers that are state of the art.

Electric fields are much easier to sense at a distance as they fall off
inverse-square. Magnets are dipoles (no magnetic monopoles) which
gives the inverse-cube law.