Long Range RC Plane Connection

Hi

We are building an RC plane, for this we are planning to use a 2,4ghz controller, plugged into the arduino. We also want to use a telemetry and video system which would stream the plane conditions from a variety of sensors (over a serial connection would be fine) and also a live video feed (probably from a raspberry pi cam).

Anyway, my question is what is the best form of transmission? It needs to be long range and also legal (this is a bit of a problem because 900mhz and some others are banned in the UK). Apparently 2.4ghz can interfere quite easily, and so I assume using long range wifi signals will just be hellish (or am I wrong?).

The Open LRS system might be another option, but is there any way of getting a video feed through this? Also 5.8ghz for video would be possibly, but is telemetry available here? I don't really want to have to use 3 different radio systems on board! Also, this is a school project and are budget is kind of limited.

Is there anything else I could use?

Thanks

Tom

A site that probably has useful info.

I’ve thought about this and what about using cellphone networks to stream the video? Also would GPS and GSM telemetry be an option?

syphex:
I've thought about this and what about using cellphone networks to stream the video? Also would GPS and GSM telemetry be an option?

Yeah thats the idea when we fly it out of sight, but we need another system as well - something that can be viewed on a laptop on the ground. Using internet dongles may or may not work - and be very costly. Also delay and coverage may well be an issue. Also in the UK we are still on 3G and in are are signal is not great - so video especially could be a problem.

thats the idea when we fly it out of sight

No, you don't fly it when it is out of sight.
This foolish, dangerous and almost certainly illegal.

Edit:

Also in the UK

Definitely illegal.

Technically you could do with 2 separate transceivers 433MHz for controlling plane (long distance and quite robust) and 2.4 or 5GHZ for video/photo link. 433 doesn't have bandwidth for video, but it can be quite long range with minimal hardware. 5GHz will have biggest bandwidth but short range unless you have mega watt transceiver and atomic reactor strapped to plane (I'm kidding but you get the point).
Flying out of sight is not what you want to get into. It needs a bigger brain than Arduino, tons of software development, sensors and minimum of Cortex M3/M4 with loads of memory. Arduino is good for "drive by wire" but definitely NOT as a autonomous drone.
Even DIYDrones moving towards ARM development after hitting a brick wall with MEGA...