Long range voice communication using radio waves

Hi,
I have been thinking about buying a pair of long range Bluetooth headset intercom to with a range of around 1200 m for around $100. I was wondering if it is possible to build something like this from the scratch using Arduino products and to cost less and possibly achieve a higher range. Or do you think I would be better off buying the modules prepared from somewhere like ebay.

I appreciate any ideas or opinions.

I was wondering if it is possible to build something like this from the scratch using Arduino products and to cost less and possibly achieve a higher range.

No.

Or do you think I would be better off buying the modules prepared from somewhere like ebay.

Yes

with a range of around 1200 m

You will only get that in an open field.

Thanks!!! :slight_smile:

The best easily available Radio frequency communication modules come from XBee , these are the range of XSC these are one of the most costliest ones available with comm. ranging from 6 miles, 15 miles, 24 miles ETC and ETC.
(though they are banned in many parts of the world MAYBE because the governments there can't monitor their air space that efficiently as it is done in canada/US and other places its allowed but it doesn't matter to us )

I was wondering if it is possible to build something like this from the scratch using Arduino products and to cost less and possibly achieve a higher range.

Not at all feasible many reasons down the line so don't even ask!

MAYBE because the governments there can’t monitor their air space that efficiently as it is done in canada/US

No it is because those frequencies are in use for other things outside the U.S.
An XBee system is of little use for sending voice messages because it is packetised information.

An XBee system is of little use for sending voice messages because it is packetised information.

Offcourse I was just educating OP on the long range RF based comm.. I read and assimilated Bluetooth but discarded the Headset part! :smiley:

Grumpy_Mike:

Most voice communications these days are packetized. The entire cell network (barring a handful of AMPS towers that might still be in operation) is all packetized. Many landline connections are now packetized.

Of course, the bandwidth and latency of your packet-switched network will determine how well voice communications will work.

High latency, low bandwidth: voicemail type communication (not realtime)
High latency, high bandwidth: simplex walkie-talkie type communication (push to talk)
Low latency, low bandwidth: somewhere between voicemail and simplex
Low latency, high bandwidth: full-duplex telephone-like communication

XBee XSC's 9600 baud is pretty tight for voice communications, but some GSM AMR codecs can get down to 4,750bps. Of course, you'll need a dedicated IC to do the compression and decompression for you, the Arduino has no hope of doing so itself. And you'll be limited to simplex.

So, while it is possible, it's a lot of work for poor results.