Long wire Remote question

Hi,
I want to 'breakout' five switches from an UNO into a remote control box. The box needs to be on a 30M long wire. It is for a theatre show, hence the distance needed. It is not an option to have the UNO in the remote, already considered that.

I was concerned that it may cause problems with the signal getting too much resistance over the length of the wire. Can anyone see this being a problem? My plan was to have 6 core cable containing one 5v positive taken from the board and five 'switch' wires going through pushbuttons and back into the UNO pins with pull down resistors etc.

If it is a problem is there any difference/benefit between using the analog or digital pins for this? Or is there any way of boosting it to prevent problems.

Would I need to change the pull up/down resistors to adapt to the length of the cable?

Thanks

The resistance from even 30 m of cable is practically nil.
Voltage drop across wire is the result of the wire's own resistance and the current through it.
Say some length of wire = 100 m?:
100 m? * 1 mA = 100 uV (nothing)
100 m? * 10 A = 1 V (something)

As you are not drawing any appreciable current the length of the wire is a non issue in that regard.

What may be a problem is noise picked up on the wire, using low-value resistors will help there.

If it is a problem is there any difference/benefit between using the analog or digital pins for this?

Not that I can think of.

6 core cable containing one 5v positive

It's more usual to run GND on the cable and have the switches pull the inputs low.

Rob

Do you have any idea about the currrents you'll be having?
They are the key parameter to the voltage drop.

Please refer to the table on AWG - American Wire Gauge Current Ratings to find out the resistance of your particular wire.

Best regards,
Marv