Looking at feasibility of weather station with a multitude of features.

Hello all!

I am new to the forum here, and looking for advice as it pertains to an idea I have had for many years here, and this project could start out simple enough, but could end up being quite complex. I apologize for how wordy it is, but hope that it gives a crystal clear idea of what I intend to do.

With out further adieu, I am looking at creating a weather station which would take in a large amount of data and essentially transmit it to a computer, or a server. I would intend to mount it on the roof of a house, and use the WiFi signal to act as the transmission source, which would then be uploaded to a website which could be accessed via the internet, or mobile device. I know of some weather stations that are out there, but I am looking at adding more to it right away, and making it a rather complete package. Below are what parts I am considering getting, and what I would like function wise to have:

Leonardo Arduino board
Thermometer
Barometer
anemometer
Hygrometer
Rain gauge
Photometer (both in IR and Visible)

If I could find a place to obtain all of the equipment, and the Leonardo board would be sufficient for all of the sensor arrays, I would then look into transmission of the data. Basically I would like to create a GUI which would allow for easy access to live data, but also have a place where archived data could be reached to analyze and interpolate from.

I would ultimately like to do a study on IR and Visible light as it pertains to transmission through clouds, and if that can be correlated to cloud thickness. I would like to take observed data from both spectrum's, and compare it to the theoretical values and see if a cloud thickness, or density can be extrapolated. Since IR works better at all hours of the day, it may be interesting to try different IR sensors at different wavelengths. The other instruments would be to see if there are any other correlations not thought of currently.

My main question is: Is the Leonardo board adequate for what I have described, and is the setup I have laid out a reasonable one to have? I do have a limited background on electronics, but with my scratch built quad-copter, and academic background, I believe I could pick up what I would need relatively well.

Thank you for your time, and hope I was not to wordy.

Regards.

I'm not sure why you are specifically thinking of a Leonardo. An Uno is the more usual "starter" board as it is most compatible with all of the examples that are available. And if you need additional connectivity the Mega (at a higher price) has a lot more I/O pins.

Without knowing what sensors you plan to use for collecting meteorological data it is impossible to say what Arduino board is most suitable.

If you are new to programming and the Arduino system I suggest you get yourself an Uno and learn using the many example programs that are available. Then get yourself one of your sensors and learn how to use it. Step by step you will get to your goal.

I suggest keeping the development of your GUI and website separate from learning to use the sensors. When you can collect your data correctly it won't be difficult to transmitting it elsewhere - but mixing the two jobs at the learning stage is a recipe for grey hair or baldness.

...R

Thank you for the feedback,

I was particularly looking at Leonardo due in part to availability, as the Uno is out of stock currently. I also agree completely with doing the programming, GUI, and Website separately. I have made websites in the past, so that wont be too bad, but if I can get the sensors working adequately, that will be the first step, and one major hurdle.

The whole idea at the moment is just in the development and research phase in terms of what I want to use and what not, the comment about not knowing which sensors are being used, thus it is hard to choose an Arduino board makes a ton of sense looking at it that way.

I will look further into which components I will actually use, and most likely identify them here. I am currently looking into IR and visible light sensors, and am considering Honeywell based products possibly? But first I need to identify the frequencies at which I will be looking at.

Thank you for your feedback again!

-Sean