Looking for a board that has more than one serial port

Hi, I went to the product page. I see several boards have been retired but there is no mention on the replacement boards. How do I find the corresponding new boards for the retired one? Also, although there is a comparison table of various Arduino, they don't list the number of available serial port and the physical sizes and weight. Is there a central page that contains all these information? I have a UNO and a Mega 2560 but I need a board that has more than one serial port (sharing of serial pin with USB port is not ok), have more than 10 analog I/O pins (the more the better) and if possible, have a builtin sd card slot. Ideally, small and light as well. Any good suggestion?

A Mega and an external SD card adapter ?

UKHeliBob:
A Mega and an external SD card adapter ?

The Mega does not work as it shares its serial pin with the USB port. I am looking for a board with two serial ports. Thanks

The Mega does not work as it shares its serial pin with the USB port. I am looking for a board with two serial ports.

The Mega 2560 has 4 hardware serial ports. Only one of them is used by the USB interface

How do we know which boards those retired ones are being replaced by?

In short you don't know which board replaces another with the exception of versions as is the case for the YUN and UNO Wi-Fi etc.

What you can do is choose a board that is closer to your needs for I/O and simply add an SD reader or if the board has WiFi or Ethernet then utilise then to send and store your data off the board and directly to whatever application you wish to use.

Most people use the direct method now that it is easily available on so many boards.

Thank you. I am a bit confused about the specs of the Leonardo.

https://store.arduino.cc/usa/leonardo
https://www.arduino.cc/en/products/compare

Under Overview, it states that "It has 20 digital input/output pins (of which 7 can be used as PWM outputs and 12 as analog inputs)," So it means that out of the 20 digital I/O pins, 12 can be used as analog inputs.

Then, under Tech Specs, it states that there are 20 Digital I/O Pins and 12 Analog Input Channels. The comparison table seems to indicate that those 12 Analog Inputs channels are already guaranteed.

Does that mean there could be totally 24 analog inputs?

If an analog sensor board has a 16 bit ADC and connect to the Leonardo via I2C, will the 10 bit analog ports of the Leonardo reduce the accuracy of the sensory readings?

Did you count the number of signal pins on a Leonardo? :wink: I don't know how you count to get to 24.

There are 20 IO pins. All can be used for digital IO, 12 of those 20 can be used for analog in (leaving 8 digital IO if you use all 12) and 7 of those 20 have PWM functionality. Note that if you e.g. use D6 for PWM, you loose one analog input.

If in doubt, look at the schematic and consult the datasheet of the 32U4.

Your 16-bit ADC board is independent of the Leonardo's ADC. Note that you will loose two digital pins when using I2C (D2 and D3); on the Uno it would have been two analog pins (A4 and A5).

There are more than likely better pinout drawings, but this one might make your life a little easier

Arduino Leonardo Pinout Diagram Lead PNG, Clipart, Arduino, Arduino Leonardo, Area, Atmel, Brand Free PNG Download look for the pins that are marked in green with ADC.

sterretje:
Did you count the number of signal pins on a Leonardo? :wink: I don't know how you count to get to 24.

There are 20 IO pins. All can be used for digital IO, 12 of those 20 can be used for analog in (leaving 8 digital IO if you use all 12) and 7 of those 20 have PWM functionality. Note that if you e.g. use D6 for PWM, you loose one analog input.

If in doubt, look at the schematic and consult the datasheet of the 32U4.

Your 16-bit ADC board is independent of the Leonardo's ADC. Note that you will loose two digital pins when using I2C (D2 and D3); on the Uno it would have been two analog pins (A4 and A5).

There are more than likely better pinout drawings, but this one might make your life a little easier

Arduino Leonardo Pinout Diagram Lead PNG, Clipart, Arduino, Arduino Leonardo, Area, Atmel, Brand Free PNG Download look for the pins that are marked in green with ADC.

Yes, I counted but I could not figure out 24. Maybe I misunderstood the wordings.