Looking for a IR camera "trip wire" tutorial

Hello,

I am looking to build a "tripwire" to activate my camera. I have an IR transmitter that was part of a kit, and I would like to re purpose it. I already have an Arduino Uno set up to trigger my camera to take time lapse photos, so it already communicates with my camera.

I would like to add in an IR receiver to my current Arduino so that I can aim an IR beam from the transmitter and have it trip my camera when it is interrupted.

I am looking for a tutorial to help me learn how to create an IR trip wire. Laser is not good as it has to be invisible.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

:)

hi arduinokov, im just getting into using an arduino so please dont take everything i suggest as the best way todo it as im still learning a lot myself.

however i would suggest looking at an IR distance sensor its basically a trasmitter / receiver built into a small package that can be used to sense movement, distance etc.

once you have one of these setup on the arduino you can then monitor motion with it (although im not sure what range they have).

check out this youtube video, the person has made some really good intro vids to arduino incase you want to check his other ones out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js4TK0U848I

skip around 12:38 into the video where he talks about ir distance sensors,this might be a good solution to your problem.

Hi Kris,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. It’s a great idea, but the range is not far enough I think. The longest “long range” one I found tops out at 5 feet. Does anyone know of a longer, long range sensor?

Thanks

5ft is about the limit of IR sensor simply because of the nature of IR. But I have a parallax ultrasonic sensor that has a max range of 3 meters. You may wish to look into that if you think it would work for you

What distance do you like to get? I think, with more powerful IR leds and modulation 38 kHz, plus RC receiver similar to your TV uses, you can reach 50 feet.

Magician: What distance do you like to get? I think, with more powerful IR leds and modulation 38 kHz, plus RC receiver similar to your TV uses, you can reach 50 feet.

Hmm.. In my experience (like in the topic you helped me with) the transmitted xxkHz IR signals will bounce off walls and objects and the xxkHz IR receiver will still receive the signal, even when its direct line of sight to the transmitter is blocked.

But on the other hand, if you stand in front of Dad or put your hand up while he's trying to change the TV channel, you can effectively block his IR signal, so I'm not sure.

To me something like the parallax ping ultrasonic sensor seems like a good solution.

then you will need to fit the 5mm shrink tubing over the IR LED. This narrows the radiating angle of the IR beam and makes it much more directional. The IR output is strong. It can easily bounce off walls etc to give false readings.

http://www.electronics-project-design.com/DoorMonitor.html