Looking for a lightweight Ethernet library

Hi guys,

I'm creating a home automation system using an Arduino UNO R3. I'm pretty much done with everything I planned however now I decided to connect my Arduino to the Internet using an Ethernet shield. The code I've written already takes around 19kB of memory. Unfortunately if I import the Ethernet and SPI libraries as well I have only ~1kB of memory left (~98%). Which isn't enough for further development. Is there a lightweight Ethernet library out there? I googled for it but found nothing. How would you reduce memory consumption?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not familiar with a lightweight lib. It is also as ambiguous as can be. because what should be in and what not?

Fortunately Arduino is open source :)

you can make your own copy of the Ethernet lib and strip everything you do not need. Not trivial but you will learn a lot from it.

You're better off upgrading the hardware or come 5 minutes later after stripping down the ethernet library, you'll run out of space again... arduino mega board or make your own...

cjdelphi: You're better off upgrading the hardware or come 5 minutes later after stripping down the ethernet library, you'll run out of space again... arduino mega board or make your own...

+1 = a mega is less than $20 on EBAY now - not worth the effort of stripping down your code

Craig

Maybe using something like the F() macro or storing data on an SD card might be possible.