Looking for a potentiometer

Hi guys,
For my project I’m going to use a potentiometer, fed by 5V, to control the speed of a train
But for my project I need one which is fairly sensitive to the turning of the knob, so I can control the speed accurately.
Do you guys maybe have an idea for a sensitive potentiometer that I can order?
The one with my arduino kit (the blue one with a white knob) wasn’t accurate enough.

Thanks for responding,
Snormanlol

General Question, General Answer
10-turn precision potentiometer (Bourns, Clarostat, et al.)
with a knob
(cf. a screw-adjust type)

runaway_pancake:
General Question, General Answer
10-turn precision potentiometer (Bourns, Clarostat, et al.)
with a knob
(cf. a screw-adjust type)

Thanks!

Consider putting the pots in series. Bottom pot CCW to ground, CW with a 10K to positive, the second pot the CCW connects to the wiper of the first, the CW to positive and the wiper is your output. The first would be a fine adjustment, the second a course. For me much easier then cranking 10 turns.

You might want to consider using a ‘Rotary Encoder’.

I like larryd’s idea. With a rotary encoder with a built in switch (ie. the KY040) you can select two or more sensitivities. Like start with course increments, push the switch and set it to fine increments push again to select extra fine.

Here's a 3 turn, 5K, pricey but worth it (I think).
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/bourns-inc/3547S-1AA-502A/2537781
5 & 10 turn and other Ohm values available.

snormanlol:
Hi guys,
For my project I'm going to use a potentiometer, fed by 5V, to control the speed of a train
But for my project I need one which is fairly sensitive to the turning of the knob, so I can control the speed accurately.
Do you guys maybe have an idea for a sensitive potentiometer that I can order?
The one with my arduino kit (the blue one with a white knob) wasn't accurate enough.

Thanks for responding,
Snormanlol

If you plan to directly control train speed using a pot, as in changing DC voltage level to a train through a pot you may want to consider the max current load the train will produce least you are looking at smoke from cooked pots. I suggest you post a diagram of your plan.
Ron