looking for advice on streamlining a function SOLVED.

Hello. I have a function that averages 3 values and knows how to do it depending on which values are greater than zero:

int8_t average(int8_t near, int8_t far, int8_t out) { //returns avg temp and knows how to avg temps depending on which sensors are plugged in.
  if (near < 0 && far < 0 && out < 0) { //if none are plugged in, return zero.
    return 0;
  } //end if.
  else if (near < 0 && far < 0) { //if two of the 3 are unplugged, return the one that isnt.
    return out;
  } //end else.
  else if (far < 0 && out < 0) {
    return near;
  } //end else.
  else if (near < 0 && out < 0) {
    return far;
  } //end else.
  else if (near < 0) { //if one is unplugged, return avg of other two.
    return (far + out) / 2;
  } //end else.
  else if (far < 0) {
    return (near + out) / 2;
  } //end else.
  else if (out < 0) {
    return (near + far) / 2;
  } //end else.
  else { //return avg of all 3.
    return (near + far + out) / 3;
  } //end else.
} //end average().

It seems like its doing the same tests over and over and probably redundantly. Any ideas on how to streamline it?

Thanks!

Try counting the number of 0 values. then subtract that from 3. your "average" is then just sub of values/(3-num of 0). BUT remember to avoid division by 0!

Mark

Thanks. Ill think about it. Only Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

The way you programmed it, is good.
I would to that in a different way, with a second function ‘average’.

if (near >= 0 && far >= 0 && out >= 0)
  {
    // everything is valid, calculate the average.
    avg = average( near, far, out);
  }
  else
  {
    // something is wrong.
    ....           <-- all the if .. else go here.
  }

I didn’t try to think through what holmes4 wrote, but precalculations with afterwards correction should work.
Perhaps there a few variations for that.

If the temperature is 50 degrees, the function is wrong. (50 + 50 + 50) / 3 will not fit in an 8 bit signed.

how about something like this -

total=0;
count=3;

if (near<0) count--; else total+=near;
if (far<0) count--; else total+=far;
if (out<0) count--; else total+=out;

if (count) return total/count; else return 0;

If the temperature is 50 degrees, the function is wrong. (50 + 50 + 50) / 3 will not fit in an 8 bit signed.

Its worked fine so far and my average temp is 62. I think the compiler is smart enough to not assign the value until after its been divided.

Thanks for the advise, I'll think about it!

No ;before the else dude!

Mark

It would be interesting to know what assembly code the compiler will make of that. An 8-bit microcontroller that does a calculation in 16 bits with variables that are 8 bit ? I would not expect that. As far as I know that calculation is wrong with 62 degrees.

apologies vulture please disregard my suggestion as it contained an extra semicolon. best stick to your original code. =(

I’d call this somewhat streamlined. Plug some values into the three variables and give 'em a try.

#define near 0
#define far 1
#define out 2
int temps[3];

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  temps[near] = 50;
  temps[far] = 40;
  temps[out] = 0;
  Serial.println(average());
}

int average() {
  int avg = 0;
  int count = 0;
  for (int i = 0; i<3; i++) {
    if (temps[i] > 0 ) {
      count++;
      avg = avg + temps[i];
    }
  }
  if (avg > 0) {
    avg = avg / count;
  }
  return avg;
}

void loop() {
}

Nice, ill try that!

But do you mean avg = avg / count;?

vulture2600: But do you mean avg = avg / count;?

Well,it does work better that way. :cold_sweat:

this seems to be working :

int8_t average(int8_t near, int8_t far, int8_t out) {
  uint8_t count = 0;
  uint16_t avg = 0;
  if (near > 0) {
   count ++;
   avg += near;
  }
  if (far > 0) {
    count ++;
    avg += far;
  }
  if (out > 0) {
    count ++;
    avg += out;
  }
  if (count != 0) {
    return avg / count;
  }
  else return 0;
} //end average().

thanks for the help, everyone!

Very nice code lar3ry, you should be a teacher. I like that code, since it can be extended for more values easily.

I would change this : if (avg > 0) { To this: if (count > 0) { Because that is closer to the actual funtionality.

And I would use "avg +=" and "avg /="

vulture2600, your resulting code is so easy now. I didn't know that it was possible. Great result. The compiler has to convert 8-bit variables to 16-bit integers and vice versa, that requires more code and is slower than using 16-bit integers. I learned that by trying to optimize my sketch by using 8-bit variables, but the mix of 16-bit and 8-bit made it slower.

holmes4:

No ;before the else dude!

Mark

If that code were written properly:

if(out < 0)
   count--;
else
   total += out;

Which ; do you think doesn’t belong?

if (i want to put an if...then..else statement on one line)
{
    i can;
    it does not mean the code is not written "properly";
    it is personal preference && pragmatic choice acquired through many years programming experience;
    i need to include a ";" before the else keyword, as i indeed did;
}
else
{
    i can make a trivial statement 4 lines long;
}

Note how I could have said that in one sentence but thought it would be more readable to format it properly :)

it is personal preference && pragmatic choice acquired through many years programming experience;

As long as you are the only one maintaining the code, do what you want. If you want other people to help, do it right.

As there are two semi colons, you have two statements. Might as well do it properly and keep it to a single statement per line, however that is also my preference.

total += (out < 0) ? ++count, 0 : out;

Paul are you seriously saying the code below would be hard to maintain???

I think you’re taking the concept of general programming good practice (which I would not disagree with) and then using it to argue the most trivial of real-life cases. Really quite unnecessary within the context of this thread, which if you remember was about simplifying an algorithm.

My comments were initially directed at holme4, who said that a semicolon was unnecessary. I disagreed.

I do not like having more that one statement on a line. You have 4 on one line. Yes, that makes it harder to maintain code. What if you have some issue with that block of code, and need to print a variable’s contents? It is, IMHO, a lot harder to add a print statement to:

then it is to add one to:

if(out < 0)
{
   count--;
}
else
{
   total += out;
}

While the latter does take more vertical space to display, the intent and structure is far easier to see, in my opinion.