Looking for advice on which Arduino product(s) to use on a new design project.

Hello.

I'm an EE. It's been about 20 years since I designed an embedded system, so I am very rusty on this stuff!

Last year I designed a system at work - a very specialized, multi-output power supply. It has four, independent outputs. We built a prototype. It works well. The customer now wants five more units.

For the second iteration I would like to incorporate an LCD into the unit. The display will show the voltage and current for each output. (For the current measurements I am using shunt resistors.) In addition, I would like the LCD to tell the user if the current is in a "normal" range for the load (less than 100 μA) or if the load is pulling too much current (greater than 100 μA).

So I need to make eight analog voltage measurements, do a little bit of math, and then and display their real-time values on an LCD. Nothing is high-speed, so a single ADC and 8:1 multiplexer for be fine.

What Arduino product(s) would you recommend for doing this?

Thanks!

Michael

Where are the shunts?
between the supply and the load
OR
between load and the ground.

Lots of analog inputs on a Bobiuno and a Mega.

LCD: Graphic or character mode? Resolution in x-y pixels or number of characters x lines?

Do you want to design analog stuff to handle such low currents yourself or are you looking for a more modern analog solution that would save design time? For example, TI has quite a few devices that read shunts directly like the common INA219.

It would be nice to know the output voltage ranges and as Larry’s asked are the shunts high side or low side?

Is the AVRs 10 bit (1024 increments) ADC resolution enough? Will you need 12 bit (4096) or 16 bit (65536) resolution?