Looking for advice (Water pump AC 220V + Relay Module)

I’m looking for advice regarding an automated watering system that I’m trying to make. As a part of the project, I want to control a water pump with a relay using my arduino.

These are the components I have:

• Arduino Uno R3

- Water pump AC 220V 3W

• Relay Module

I was thinking of using the following guide to make it all work together: Controlling AC light using Arduino with relay module

Are the mentioned components safe to use together?

Given that they are not, could anyone nudge me in the right direction regarding components to use?

I'm happy for any help I can get!

yes the parts are compatible.

we usually try to talk people out of using AC for projects as it can be harmful.

we would recommend looking for a 5 volt or 12 volt DC pump.

but the answer to your question is that yes, these will work.

if you want more help, create a schematic and post it. then we can point you into the right direction

This is not a schematic but I hope it catches the essential bits of what I'm thinking of doing:

As you can see I haven't touched the electrical cord to the water pump yet. The plan is to: open the black cord, locate the line, cut it and attach both ends to the relay.

When all this is done I'm planning to put everything in a plastic container to avoid death.

Questions:

Would this work? Anything likely to go wrong?

the more common approach is to take an extention cord or an old computer cable and cut that.
then take an electrical box, put the relay in side of the box. and wire up a new receptcle to the relay and extension cord.

then plug in the pump, or lamp or whatever.

all the high voltage bits are inside of the box and you can use it for all manner of things.

I guess you mean something like this: Turn Any Appliance into a Smart Device with an Arduino Controlled Power Outlet

It sounds like a good idea, compared to ruining the cord of the water pump.

I've been searching for different solutions and atm I'm thinking of getting a power strip with enough room for the relay.

KJohansson:
I guess you mean something like this: http://www.circuitbasics.com/build-an-arduino-controlled-power-outlet/

It sounds like a good idea, compared to ruining the cord of the water pump.

I’ve been searching for different solutions and atm I’m thinking of getting a power strip with enough room for the relay.

older, and I mean OLDER, power strips were metal cans with holes cut for a normal recpectle.
you could cut out one receptacle and use that space for the relay.

I have an old plug in power module with some filtering and such for a computer. it was from before the time of power strips. but it holds enough space for a relay. and a wireless connection.