Looking for Complete Compiler output and linker modules and what they do

Hi, I would like to know what to do and where to look for the complete expansion of all the source code that is included automatically and intentionally from within a sketch so that I can review and understand all the various things that the Arduino IDE performs for me under the covers. I guess I could have said "how can I generate the complete compiler output listing (for the blink example, for instance)? Important also will be the chronological order in which things are performed, at execution time, so as to properly set content of special registers before utilizing them in a running program. Similarly I'd like to know where I can find the source code for any automatically linked-in modules that get combined to form a complete program. Arduino does a wonderful job of "hiding the complexities" but in so doing dumbs-down what the microcontroller can really do or be configured to do. This is not a complaint, just an observation. I really have no plans or interest to "roll-my-own" equivalent of these modules; but I do like to know how it all works together. I've read enough of the data sheets for devices to want to know how all that low level complexity is performed. Now I'd like to gain some insight into why things are the way they are, based on how all this initialization is provided. I suspect this question has come up countless times. But my mind cannot make a match thus avoiding the need to ask the question again here. My apologies in advance. Norm

The first question is which version of the IDE are you using? If 1.0 or later, look at the File + Preferences menu item, and start checking boxes.

Thanks for your quick reply PaulS! I have several release installed, back to 0022. But I use 1.01 now.