Looking for low cost solenoids

Anyone have a source for low cost solenoids? Used or new. I don't mind going to the auto junkyard if I knew what to ask for. I know cheap servos are available that could do the job, but a solenoid should be easier to interface. ::)

To start, I want to control a spare camera using solenoids to turn it on and then snap the photo.

P.S. I'm in Seattle area if you know where to get it locally.

Car door locks used to be driven by 12v solenoids. Try asking the junkyard folks for door locking mechanisms.

Dishwashers often have a few 110v solenoids. Find an appliance graveyard.

To start, I want to control a spare camera using solenoids to turn it on and then snap the photo.

This might be a little tricky to attach mechanically and might be a little hard on the camera and give it quite a jolt as it's hard to control the speed of application of a solenoid, they snap quite quickly and hard.

You might re-consider using micro size servos instead. They are much smaller then any normal auto type solenoid you are bound to find and they use 5vdc rather then 12v and under software control you can set the speed of operation to minimize vibration and sock to the camera. A servo takes just one I/O pin to control just like a solenoid and the software is not that difficult using the available servo library routines.

Here is an example for size:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4x-MYSTERY-3-7g-Micro-Servo-RC-plane-helicopter-Boat_W0QQitemZ250408039279QQihZ015QQcategoryZ34056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lefty

might be a little hard on the camera and give it quite a jolt

Excellent point! [smiley=embarassed.gif]

I will change my plans and use 2 servos (one on/off, one snap/snap) for the camera. I've already looked at some sample servo libray code. I'll also try to pick up some car door lock solenoids for other uses.

Right here:

The miniature 12v one might be good for a camera. I have several and am happy with them - they’re “push” solenoids, so hopefully that’s the direction you’re wanting to go.

It amazes me how much new solenoids cost. Like $20 for a dinky little coil. If they can sell motors (which are far more complex) new for $0.99 each, why can’t they do that with solenoids? </end rant> Anyway, surplus places like All Electronics or Electronics Goldmine have them for cheap, but you never know what they’ll have available.

-Paul

Thanks. I think a $2 solenoid would do the trick. For now, I’ve got some servos I just bought that should work for my critter cam. I’ll definitely be buying some parts from All Electornics.