Looking for rotary encoder or rotary switch that returns to center

Something that would accept a knob and as you turn it clockwise or counterclockwise you could sense how many positions or the angle it is turned and when released it would return to center. I've seen these for dedicated video editing hardware and maybe other places too. What is this device and can someone point the way? Thanks!

They will be purpose made for the end-use - unlikely to be generally available. Typically a mechanic linkage and spring is used so its not even part of the electronic component at all. For a rotary encoder you don't need to physically return the encoder to zero though, something similar can be done in software - digitally filter the output so it decays back to zero anyhow, so if left undisturbed its output will always be zero, and only when the device is moved can the output have a non-zero value - you can mask the decay mode to times when it isn't being manipulated by tracking time since last change too.

Like a spring return centered pot used on some early R/C radio transmitters. Action is just like a spring centered joy stick control just using a rotary action instead of linear motion.

Lefty

MarkT:
They will be purpose made for the end-use - unlikely to be generally available. Typically a mechanic linkage and spring
is used so its not even part of the electronic component at all. For a rotary encoder you don’t need to physically return
the encoder to zero though, something similar can be done in software - digitally filter the output so it decays back to zero
anyhow, so if left undisturbed its output will always be zero, and only when the device is moved can the output have a
non-zero value - you can mask the decay mode to times when it isn’t being manipulated by tracking time since last change too.

That is an idea. I could use something like this to indicate the decay back to the user:

I still like the idea of a center return switch. I wish one existed.

2512433608724040_1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jog_dial

http://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=30616

Hey, thanks. I would like that as a component, not a completed system, but it gives me a good place to start investigating.

+1 Karma

Are you looking for this for production or for a one of hobby product ? In the first case you'd need to find a complete module. But in the latter case you could look for some unit to harvest the part you're after. I've still got this (at the time of buying it) high end JVC VCR. It has such jog-dial function, where the knob just turns without end , and stays where it's left. But that knob has an extra ring which does exactly what you're after. So maybe you can salvage this from some old VCR you might find in some second hand shop.

MAS3: Are you looking for this for production or for a one of hobby product ? In the first case you'd need to find a complete module. But in the latter case you could look for some unit to harvest the part you're after. I've still got this (at the time of buying it) high end JVC VCR. It has such jog-dial function, where the knob just turns without end , and stays where it's left. But that knob has an extra ring which does exactly what you're after. So maybe you can salvage this from some old VCR you might find in some second hand shop.

Hobby stuff. I was thinking about making a controller for the PC with extra buttons and a dial like this. I will look through my junk bin and maybe I will look at some garage sales this spring, there has to be something out there exactly like you are saying.