Looking for small engine

Hi, I'm trying to put together a new project and I'm having trouble finding the right engine. i'm working with Arduino UNO and I'm looking for an engine that can connect to the stove instead of the original knob and could to get input (the user moves it menualy) of start and end point on the axis of the knob and then could move to anywhere between those points on the axis by command. Maybe one of you has come across an engine that can meet my requirements, or at least some of them I can modify the rest. Thanks a lot!

In English the word "engine" normally means an internal combustion engine (or a steam engine) and the word "motor" is used for electric motors. (I don't know why). (And just to add more confusion the word "motor" is often commonly used to mean "car"). :)

It's not clear from your description how many degrees the existing knob rotates through.

My first thought is a hobby servo such as are used to control flying model airplanes. They come in range of sizes and are very easy to use with the Arduino Servo library.

...R

I'm looking for an engine that can connect to the stove instead of the original knob

Post a photograph of the control.

Robin2: In English the word "engine" normally means an internal combustion engine (or a steam engine) and the word "motor" is used for electric motors. (I don't know why). (And just to add more confusion the word "motor" is often commonly used to mean "car"). :)

It's not clear from your description how many degrees the existing knob rotates through.

My first thought is a hobby servo such as are used to control flying model airplanes. They come in range of sizes and are very easy to use with the Arduino Servo library.

...R

Thank you very much for the quick answer, thanks for the explanation of the terms, probably because of this I had trouble finding information on the subject. It seems that the Servo will do the work if I can connect a potentiometer to it to update me where the servo is at any given moment.

i ordered few servo's to experiment with them, if anyone has more ideas about small motor that can read manually placed positions i'll be happy to hear about it.

thnks again!

jremington: Post a photograph of the control.

standard knob like this one |500x375 i believe i can make any motor fit to the knob if it meets my requirements.

TalCohen: It seems that the Servo will do the work if I can connect a potentiometer to it to update me where the servo is at any given moment.

Servos already have a potentiometer inside them to let them know where they are. The Servo library relies on that.

I'm not sure why you need an external pot - you have not really described your project sufficiently.

You can get servos that have a 4th wire that brings out the voltage on the wiper from the internal pot so it can be read using analogRead(). And it would not be too difficult to modify most servos to add that 4th wire.

It would NOT be a good idea to design a system that requires the servo being manually forced into a different position, even if it is powered off. The internal gears are likely to be damaged.

If you need to be able to adjust the position manually as well as electronically then a stepper motor is probably essential. But they are more complex to use because they don't have any internal position sensing.

The small 28BYJ-48 geared stepper motors would probably have enough torque for your project, but (as with the servos) manually forcing the gears would probably break something. A stepper big enough not to need gears would be quite obtrusive (if that matters).

...R Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code