Looking for smooth turning encoder with push switch

I'm having a heck of a time finding a smooth turning encoder with push switch. Anyone know who carries that kind of encoder?

Thank you...

There are likely a dozen manufacturers of rotary motion encoders with close to zero free running torque resistance. I assume you want a rotary position encoder? You also did not mention steps per revolution or price point? If you are just looking for a cheap encoder do not expect much. No clue what you mean with "push switch"?

Ron

For a one-off you might pull one from a junk car radio. They normally have a nice feel.

No clue what you mean with "push switch"?

An encoder that you can push in on the shaft and hear and feel a click.

This is just for a hobby project so I don't want to spend more than a few dollars on this kind of encoder.

Steps can be anywhere between 16 and 24 or somewhere in that range.

I'll keep looking...thank you for the response.

You can try:

Bourns part number PEC16-4220F-S0024

24 indent and very smooth feel, with push switch. I had to buy 5 (minimum order) and like them. A huge improvement on the usual hobby shop variants.

Note: Carefully check the encoder pin order - the middle one is not common.

Willem.

Thank you...

@rfresh737.

After some thought, are you looking for an encoder with “smooth” meaning without any indent feel? The quoted one still has a subtle indent feel. I do not know of one without any feedback.

Willem.

Yes smooth, but a small amount of feel would be acceptable (if I can't find a truly smooth turning one).

....but a small amount of feel would be acceptable....

Had a look round for "smooth" decoders. They are called detent-less and all seem to be optical, which makes sense.

Digikey has a few. The prices, however, are somewhat prohibitive (for me at least).

For my purposes I will stick with the above Bourns. Try one, the detents are subtle - unlike the usual grated feel for cheaper ones - it may serve the purpose.

Willem.

Willem43:

....but a small amount of feel would be acceptable....

Had a look round for "smooth" decoders. They are called detent-less and all seem to be optical, which makes sense.

Digikey has a few. The prices, however, are somewhat prohibitive (for me at least).

For my purposes I will stick with the above Bourns. Try one, the detents are subtle - unlike the usual grated feel for cheaper ones - it may serve the purpose.

Willem.

Much thanks...!!!