Looking for tubing recommendation for pressure senor

Hello,

I am building a device that can detect compression of a tube, e.g. by stepping on it, pushing a stoller over it, riding a bike over it, etc.

The two sensors I am looking to test out are:

MPX2010GP Info: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/109247.pdf

MPS20N0040D Info: http://e-radionica.com/productdata/Pressure_Sensor.pdf

I am struggling to identify what kind of tubing I should buy to fit on either of these sensors to test them out, either in terms of inner diameter and also type.

For the MPX2010GP, in the datasheet above, it is case CASE 344B-01. The diagram of that case seems to show that the diameter looks to be 0.188" +/- 0.06", but I think that is the outer diameter of the connector barb and not sure if I should get something to match that dimension or a bit smaller.

For the MPS20N0040D, in the product sheet above, it looks like the diameter is 3mm, and the connector/post is straight (i.e. no barb shape). Not sure if I should get something to match the 3mm exactly, or something that is a little bit smaller and stretch the tube a bit when putting it on the connector.

My key questions are:

1) What type of tubing would you recommend? There is PVC, polyurethane, silicon tubing, etc. What would give the best response (and quickest to compress/recover) of these types? Basically, I am looking for someone to be able to step on it and have it note that it has been compressed, and then quickly go back to zero compression so someone else can step on it immediately after.

2) What inner diameter sized tubing should I get for either of these sensors?

3) Any suggested sourcing for where I can get tubing? My go to is usually ebay and amazon, but if anyone has a suggestion for an alternate I would be appreciative!

Much appreciate any advice! Thanks!!

Both linked sensors need an instrumentation amp.

The MPX2010GP is also available with inbuild instrumentation amp >> MPX5010GP. Only that one can connect directly to the analogue input of an Arduino.

No expereince in tubing, but I think rubber is the best material for outside (hot, cold, sunlight). Fuel tubing? Leo..

How long does the tube need to be, what are the requirements for its diameter. If its very long and thin you might need to go to liquid-filled for a stronger signal. However you can get high-resolution pressure sensors which have lots of bits of precision so this might not matter.

Natural rubber is hopeless for outside, it decomposes in sunlight and oxygen and goes brittle in the cold. If you mean vulcanized rubber as in tyres, or synthetic rubber (neoprene) then that ought to last a while - wearing out might be an issue. Silicone rubber tubing is chemically the most inert, but I don't know if its harder-wearing or not. Note different materials will have different cold tolerance.

Check with your local highway planning folks, ask what they use for those traffic counters you're always thumping over, you will prob'ly have to ask for an engineer or technician.

Thanks all!

Wawa: Both linked sensors need an instrumentation amp.

The MPX2010GP is also available with inbuild instrumentation amp >> MPX5010GP. Only that one can connect directly to the analogue input of an Arduino.

Thanks! Will check it out. Thanks for pointing out the need for an amplifier circuit.

outsider: Check with your local highway planning folks, ask what they use for those traffic counters you're always thumping over, you will prob'ly have to ask for an engineer or technician.

Ha, yes! This is actually what I am looking at making, so will see about giving them a call.

Outstanding question tho: Any advice on how to read the diagrams and choose an inner diameter size for the tubing? What size tubing should I get (once I determine the material I should use)

Thanks!!

The phrase to search for is “road tube”.
For example
http://www.triggindustries.com/traffic-engineering-products/road-tube-accessories/road-tube.html

Once you've sorted out what tube to put on the road, stepping it down to the size of the pressure sensor should be very easy. Just get some plastic tube from your local hardware store. They sell it for aquariums and windscreen washers and lots of other purposes.

While you can get adapter fittings, you will often find that each different diameter of tube fits neatly into the next size larger.

mikb55: The phrase to search for is "road tube". For example http://www.triggindustries.com/traffic-engineering-products/road-tube-accessories/road-tube.html

Thanks! The half round looks perfect. Much appreciated!!