Looking to control about 50 of 110v light bulbs with Arduino

I think using Max7219 would help handle lots of light bulbs with a single chip but I need suggestion for handling 110v without frying the 5v chips. A lot of relay would work but SSR starts at around $20 each for 5v in, AC load, regular relay are cheaper but it'd be noisy. Are there other option that can be used to keep 5v circuit separate from 110v circuit?

Forgot to add: I picked up an old game score board with 2 of 2 digits score and 4 digit clock plus a few light. All the segments are made with 7 of old style 110v golf ball sized light bulb wired in parallel. The original circuitry was fried from lightning but the light bulbs are still fine. I am hoping I could repurpose it to be a clock (12 hours format), current temp and current humidity.

Light bulbs are 5w each so about 35w per segment (about .3A)

I am looking at suitable SSR on Ebay at .99 each with free shipping, from China. Where are you looking?

Paul

Have you considered replacing the bulbs with LEDs? Or using opto-triac circuit directly (if you are unsure about
mains electronics though, I'd suggest sticking with relay or SSR)

With LEDs you'd only need a few watts per segment too, reducing power consumption.

Paul_KD7HB:
I am looking at suitable SSR on Ebay at .99 each with free shipping, from China. Where are you looking?

Paul

Digikey, where I am be sure the part are at advertised spec. I don't want to trust generic or unknown quality part from China when dealing with 110v power.

MarkT:
Have you considered replacing the bulbs with LEDs? Or using opto-triac circuit directly (if you are unsure about
mains electronics though, I'd suggest sticking with relay or SSR)

With LEDs you'd only need a few watts per segment too, reducing power consumption.

I'd have to replace all the existing light bulbs with LED. The plan is to make it work for now, and replace burned out bulb over time with LED. Why waste working light bulbs, especially since market for used incandescent bulbs aren't strong anyway.

Who do you think makes the SSRs that Digikey sells?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:

+1!

How much current do you need?
PVT212 can do 110VAC at up 825mA.
I put 8 of them on a board Arduino can control by shifting in data.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

Video switching a high power LED at ~700mA.

Light bulbs work on DC also. Get a variable power supply to determine the DC voltage and current one bulb needs, then with a suitable power supply you can use MOSFETS.

Paul_KD7HB:

Paul

Quality control for reputable sources, but direct from China (cheap) aren't guaranteed to work at advertised spec. Example; the one I get could claim to be safe up to 250v 5A AC but it's built cheaply and only works up to 1A instead.

CrossRoads:
How much current do you need?
PVT212 can do 110VAC at up 825mA.

The old bulbs are marked 8 to 10w (various different brands) which seems to be around 0.1A max. With 7 bulbs per segment, that's between 600 and 700mA. I also saw 32-channel mosfet switch, if those can handle AC power it might be better, less clutter with 2 of them vs 7 of the 8 channel board.

SteveMann:
Light bulbs work on DC also. Get a variable power supply to determine the DC voltage and current one bulb needs, then with a suitable power supply you can use MOSFETS.

But will it work nicely with 110v LEDs? When the old bulbs burn out, I plan to replace them with equivalent 110v LED bulb, they seems to be about 4w which is more than half the power of old bulbs but some cheaper AC LED bulbs might not work right with straight DC power.