Loop Back Test Failed!

Hi,

I have followed all the steps, but when I get to step 7 and type in the dialog box, nothing is returned after I press “enter” or “send”. This happens when I try any of the four following “serial ports” (under Tools > Serial Port): /dev/tty.usbmodem1411, /dev/cu.usbmodem1411, /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port, /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
I have 2 more options for “serial ports”: /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem and /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem. When I try each of these, both return an error message saying the port is already in use and try quitting any programs that could be using it. I don’t have any other programs running on my computer, and the only other cable plugged in is my charger.

What does this mean? How do I fix it? I’m trying to use a standard USB to micro-usb (android charger, but it also lets you move files on/off your phone) cable to upload a program to my board. I have an Arduino Leonardo that I’m trying to use.

Thanks for the help!

-Arduino Novice

The loopback test only applies to boards with a separate serial adapter on the board - in the test, you connect the TX and RX pins going between the serial adapter and the microcontroller to eachother, allowing you to test the serial adapter independently from the rest of the board.

The leonardo has native USB - there's no serial adapter.