Loop- back test not working correctly

Running XP Home - just got an Arduino Leonardo today - downloaded Arduino software 1.0.1 - installed the drivers - Leonardo showed up on COM 3 -tried the Blink Sketch - hit the upload button and the progress bar went to about 80% and stopped then errored out. Checked the troubleshooting page - everything looks good. Found this forum and tried the Loop-Back test. Installed the jumper between 0 and 1 - plugged in the USB cable - started Hyperterm in windows - connected to COM 3 and all I see scrolling down the com window is TESTATA. The transmit light blinks everytime it sends TESTATA - the receive light blinks when I type on the keyboard but all I ever get is TESTATA.

This is the error I get when the Blink Upload error out

Binary sketch size: 4,858 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum) Found programmer: Id = "BØh"; type = Software Version = . ; Hardware Version = . avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?

In the software the board is set to Arduino Leonardo and the comport is set to COM 3. The Programmer is set to AVRISP mkII. I have tried the other programmers and they didn't work either Any Ideas??

John

Are you sure that you did not install the driver from the FTDI folder? That is not the proper driver.
You need to choose the driver in the Drivers folder.
Also, try rebooting your system.

Not sure why you are having trouble. But addressing a few things:

johntech: tried the Loop-Back test. Installed the jumper between 0 and 1

Loop-back won't work on the Leonardo. On other Arduino boards there is a USB to Serial chip connected to pins 0 and 1 of the ATmega328 (or ATmega2560). On the Leonardo USB handled by the 32u4, so jumping 0 and 1 do nothing (for loop back).

johntech: The Programmer is set to AVRISP mkII. I have tried the other programmers and they didn't work either

The "Programmer" section only matters if burning the bootloader, so it doesn't matter in this case.

Are you sure the Leonardo is actually COM3? If you disconnect the board does, COM3 disappear from the Serial Port list in the IDE?

kd7eir: Are you sure that you did not install the driver from the FTDI folder? That is not the proper driver. You need to choose the driver in the Drivers folder. Also, try rebooting your system.

I uninstalled the driver several times and pointed XP to the FTDI folder to load the driver. I have rebooted XP everytime I loaded the driver. I get the same error when trying to load the Blink sketch. I don't see the TX / RX lights blink at all when trying to load.

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=116908.msg879894#msg879894 date=1343885195] Not sure why you are having trouble. But addressing a few things:

johntech: tried the Loop-Back test. Installed the jumper between 0 and 1

Loop-back won't work on the Leonardo. On other Arduino boards there is a USB to Serial chip connected to pins 0 and 1 of the ATmega328 (or ATmega2560). On the Leonardo USB handled by the 32u4, so jumping 0 and 1 do nothing (for loop back).

johntech: The Programmer is set to AVRISP mkII. I have tried the other programmers and they didn't work either

The "Programmer" section only matters if burning the bootloader, so it doesn't matter in this case.

Are you sure the Leonardo is actually COM3? If you disconnect the board does, COM3 disappear from the Serial Port list in the IDE? [/quote] Thank you for the information! I'm new to the Arduino family. I have the Basic Stamp 2 and thought I'd try the Arduino family for a futue project. As far as it being on COM 3, when I look at the device manager it shows COM 3 and when I unplug it COM 3 goes away and when I plug it back in it shows up again. I have tried it on another machine last night and after reloading the driver several times I did get it to work on that one. Both computers are running the same version of software, it just won't work on the newer one. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

johntech:

kd7eir: Are you sure that you did not install the driver from the FTDI folder? That is not the proper driver. You need to choose the driver in the Drivers folder. Also, try rebooting your system.

I uninstalled the driver several times and pointed XP to the FTDI folder to load the driver. I have rebooted XP everytime I loaded the driver. I get the same error when trying to load the Blink sketch. I don't see the TX / RX lights blink at all when trying to load.

DO NOT point to the FTDI folder. Point to the DRIVERS folder.

Also, try this:

Press and hold the reset button on the Leonardo, then hit the upload button in the Arduino software. Only release the reset button after you see the message "Uploading..." appear in the software's status bar. When you do so, the bootloader will start, creating a new virtual (CDC) serial port on the computer. The software will see that port appear and perform the upload using it. Again, this is only necessary if the normal upload process (i.e. just pressing the uploading button) doesn't work. (Note that the auto-reset is initiated when the computer opens the Leonardo's serial port at 1200 baud and then closes it; this won't work if something interferes with the board's USB communication - e.g. disabling interrupts.)

Try this, plug the Arduino into the serial and wait for the device connected sound. Go to your device manager, expand the Ports (Com & LPT) and right-click on the USB device listed on COM3 and select Properties. Click the "Port Settings" tab and then the "Advanced..." button. Pull down the "COM Port Number" combo box. Select a COM port from the list that is greater than 5 and in not In Use.

Click OK and test.

OK Guys

I have tried all of your suggestions listed in this post and nothing worked. Just out of nothing else to try, I moved the USB plug from the FRONT of my computer to the BACK of my computer. Now I don't know why this would make any difference at all, BUT when I plugged it in the back USB ports, I pointed it to the driver folder and it loaded the driver then set the port to Com 5 automatically. I loaded the software and set the port in the software to Com 5. Loaded the Blink Sketch and bam, the darn thing worked right away!!!

So I don't know what would be the difference between the front and back USB ports!! Everything I have used on the front port - camera, Blackberry, memory stick all work just fine.

Thank you all for all your suggestions on helping me get my Leonardo up and running.

Now on to the fun!!

John

Good to hear johntech.

I remember some old desktops that used to behave that way with keyboards and mice with the front, but go to the back and no trouble.

I think the COM3 and COM4 (1&2 are definitely not) are not favorable for Arduino use.

Good Luck!