Lora 915mhz multiple devices connected together possibility

Hello,
I have a question relating to the Lora Radio Module that runs on 915mhz, specifically the RFM95W / SX1278. I am wondering if you could connect multiple Lora Devices to a singular Lora Device? To put in better terms, if you had 3 Lora Modules that are transmitting to one Lora receiving module, is that possible. If so, how? I have an image below to better describe what I am talking about. It's a bit hard to put into words, so if you want me to clarify about something, let me know. Thanks.
-Matthew Woods

LoRa modules do not 'connect' to each other.

LoRa modules are tranceivers, they can transmit or receive.

As long as the frequency and LoRa settings are the same a message sent from one transmitter will be received by any receivers within range that are listening.

Two transmitters sending a message at the same time can interfere with each other such that no messages are received.

what you are describing is a gateway. there are two kinds: a LoRa Gateway, and a LoRaWAN gateway. either type of gateway is the centerpoint in a star network. all radios communicate with the gateway

you can communicate in plain text from point to point without a gateway. search terms: peer to peer lora, point to point lora

if you want multiple sensors, you want to communicate in plain text, and you want to keep your data confined to your location, you want a LoRa Gateway. Do not swan dive on the eBay link just yet.

if you want to get on the Internet of Things you want a LoRaWAN gateway. all LoRaWAN nodes communicate with any LoRaWAN gateway in range. the gateways connects to the Internet of Things. A LoRaWAN Gateway functions like a wifi router. An open router. If anyone in your community has a LoraWAN router, everyone has access to it.

if you go LoRaWAN you don't need to set up a gateway. If your community has one, you just need to make sensors, and sign up on the IoT. If you do set up a LoRaWAN gateway you pay for the internet bandwidth.

LoRa Gateways: prepare for disillusionment. the problem with LoRa Gateways is that they are single or dual channel. to get the full benefit of LoRa transceivers you need eight channels.

DIY LoRa Gateway: if you get involved with LoRa, you will have the materials on hand to build your own, and a hundred tutorials to tell you how. there is no reason to not try. people who do this end up buying a commercial gateway.

Don't waste your time on the Dragino LoRaShield. it's just a waste of an UNO. it ties up so many pins there are not enough left for a worthwhile project. It would be OK if it fit a Mega.

if you buy a commercial single channel gateway, you pay half the price of the least expensive realistically useful LoRaWAN Gateway; the RAK7243 and the very recent RAK7244. The RAK gateways can be set up as a LoRaWAN Gateway or a LoRa Gateway. IMHO spending twice the commercial single channel gateway price for 8 times the capability is a wise decision.

if you are an advanced Arduino user, do this: get on eBay and look up the price of an Arduino UNO and an Adafruit RFM95, then look up the price of an ESP32 with built in LoRa. If you buy an ESP32 with built in LoRa do yourself a favor and buy modules with the permanent SMA antenna connector, not the puny u.fl snap on connector.

The Arduino is a VW 1600 with a one barrel carb. The ESP32 is a fuel injected 5.4 liter. the ESP32 module with LoRa costs less than an Arduino UNO and an Adafruit RFM95. going from 0 to ESP32 would be a major leap, but it's the logical next step for a person who has maxed out a Mega.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.