Lost opportunity

Sounds like there is an opportunity for some vendor or person to build and sell us an ‘adapter shield’ that plugs into a standard Arduino layout, but on the top has standard .1" spacing headers. One would only have to buy one and could even mix shields by stacking standard types below and the adapter on top. Such a board should be fairly inexpensive I would think?

Lefty

Such boards do exist. But still they are somewhat of a pain. I vote for the Boarduino or Seeeduino approach instead. If the layout issue would have been fixed I might have considered the Uno.

Udo

Well I too own a Seeeduino board and the spacing option was one of the features that sold me even though I haven’t yet installed extra headers.

I’ve stayed away from Uno purchase so far mostly because there was bound to be early bugs and compatibility problems (which there were some bootloader issues early I believe and the quick version ide20 vs ide21) and the fact that there weren’t any USB host examples out there to take advantage of the new USB hosting capabilities.

Which by the way brings up another great opportunity for some vendor/person to offer the Arduino community. That would be a simple shield that just has the new 8U2 chip, usb connector and support components such that when usb hosting applications show up one could utilize them with older Arduino boards. Sound useful?

Lefty

For real USB support, including host support,

A really nice “Arduino” board would be a new “Mega” board based on a AT90USB1286.

To me that chip represents what a really nice AVR based Arduino could be.

— bill

The original spacing “mistake” was back in the Ardunio Serial days, right? That means that USB, NG, Extreme, Diecimila, and Duemilanove, all missed the same opportunity. Not to mention the NKC and SB Freeduinos, and several other clones,
and the Mega…

It’s too late.