Love you Dead; Arduino relay

I read a lot of crime fiction, the book I am currently reading is 'Love you Dead', one of the Roy Grace series set in Brighton, UK by Peter James.

Apparently, according to the story, an 'Arduino relay' makes a really reliable timer for a bomb. You can buy an 'Arduino relay' from an electrical supplies place. 'Arduino relays' are really easy to program, although exactly what you program them with is not clear.

It's a shame Peter James wrote this, much of the policing stuff he puts in his books seems well researched, and certainly I recognise a lot of the parts of Brighton he mentions, having visited them myself.

I like crime fiction also - Inspectors Morse, Wexford and Frost, for example and Agatha Christie and Dorthy L Sayers. Now in my dotage what I don't like are the stories that insist on gruesome violence or that place the hero in jeopardy (thrillers).

Where does Peter James fit in?

...R

Where does Peter James fit in?

I'm not clear what you are asking; Peter James is the author of the Roy Grace series of books.

PerryBebbington: I'm not clear what you are asking; Peter James is the author of the Roy Grace series of books.

I'm wondering what sort of stuff is in those books - are they gruesome thrillers or are they just nice intellectual whodunnits?

...R

There's a bit of both really, Roy Grace is an intelligent, thinking policeman who cares passionately about getting justice for victims of serious crime. There are some gruesome bits too, for example bodies that have had their arms and legs removed then suspended from the ceiling and kept alive for years. Horrible.

PerryBebbington:
There are some gruesome bits too, for example bodies that have had their arms and legs removed then suspended from the ceiling and kept alive for years. Horrible.

Much appreciated.

I have no wish to read about that.

…R

I have no wish to read about that.

Erm.... You just have!

The stories don't dwell on such things, but, yes, they are included.

Obviously the only way you'll know if you like them is to read them, there's no way for me to tell you!

PerryBebbington: Obviously the only way you'll know if you like them is to read them, there's no way for me to tell you!

On the basis of what you have told me I can't see myself trying them.

...R

PerryBebbington:
There’s a bit of both really, Roy Grace is an intelligent, thinking policeman who cares passionately about getting justice for victims of serious crime. There are some gruesome bits too, for example bodies that have had their arms and legs removed then suspended from the ceiling and kept alive for years. Horrible.

Why would you hand arms and legs from a ceiling and keep them alive for years?
Does much of that sort of thing go on in Brighton?

ardly: Does much of that sort of thing go on in Brighton?

I believe it is a broad minded place.

...R

Why would you hand arms and legs from a ceiling and keep them alive for years?

I think you misunderstood. It was the body, arms and legs removed, that was hung from the ceiling and kept alive. The arms and legs were disposed of.

Does much of that sort of thing go on in Brighton?

Not any more, the guy that did it has been caught!

PerryBebbington:
much of the policing stuff he puts in his books seems well researched, and certainly I recognise a lot of the parts of Brighton he mentions, having visited them myself.

That’s looking a little suspect now, isn’t it?

(I hope they remembered to use millis() for their bomb time. I’d have no respect for anyone who used delay().

I always thought the Brighton bomber’s timer of choice was the VCR, but I guess they’re getting harder to find)

(I hope they remembered to use millis() for their bomb time. I'd have no respect for anyone who used delay()).

Sadly that's not mentioned :o

(I always thought the Brighton bomber's timer of choice was the VCR, but I guess they're getting harder to find)

Probably because people keep blowing them up!

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL: (I hope they remembered to use millis() for their bomb time. I'd have no respect for anyone who used delay().

I hope they used unsigned long, otherwise premature BOOM... :o :o :o

TomGeorge: I hope they used unsigned long, otherwise premature BOOM... :o :o :o

ROFL :)

I hope they used unsigned long, otherwise premature BOOM.

Well, it was a 30 second timer in the story...

The bomb went off after the desired delay. (Oh, and why do people refer to 'unexploded bombs', what other kind of bomb is there?)

PerryBebbington: I think you misunderstood. It was the body, arms and legs removed, that was hung from the ceiling and kept alive. The arms and legs were disposed of.Not any more, the guy that did it has been caught!

I thought he might be doing a sort of perpetual parma ham to feed to the locals.

ardly: I thought he might be doing a sort of perpetual parma ham to feed to the locals.

YUK! One of thee reasons I don't eat meat!!!