Low-power table football game detector

I'm also not sure about which piezo sensor to buy.

Also it says it should be connected to a resistance, but I'm not sure which one and how the wiring would look like with the esp8266.

Hi,
Neodymium magnet under or in one of the players feet, a hall effect sensor under the pitch directly below the player.
6052.100-2-1edit.jpg
Tom… :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Neodymium magnet under or in one of the players feet, a hall effect sensor under the pitch directly below the player.
6052.100-2-1edit.jpg

Very clever but I am not allowed to damage the table. I cannot crack it open to install a hall effect sensor. This also means I cannot crack open a player to put a magnet into it.

I feel like the piezo sensor would be much easier to deploy and does not require damaging the table.

Here's my current buying list

|500x277

The RTC module is a DS1307, for which there's an AdaFruit micropython implementation called urtc :)

Does that RTC support a backup battery and alarm/wake up signal? Not all of them do. I don't see a battery in that image.

Get one of those DS3231 modules from ebay which have a coin cell as battery backup. I have one of those and after an year of use, the error was within a minute.

Also, instead of the sparkfun esp8266 board, I think you should get a nodeMCU board.

And I think this sensor would be a better choice.

wvmarle: Does that RTC support a backup battery and alarm/wake up signal? Not all of them do. I don't see a battery in that image.

There's a coin cell included, a separate power supply for the RTC. It lasts ~7 years. As for the alarm/wake up signal, I have no idea. Does the ds3231 support that?

Srijal97: Get one of those DS3231 modules from ebay which have a coin cell as battery backup. I have one of those and after an year of use, the error was within a minute.

Does it support alarm/wake up signal? EDIT: I checked, it does.

Srijal97: Also, instead of the sparkfun esp8266 board, I think you should get a nodeMCU board.

Cool! Seems way more convenient with the USB port. However, it seems to consume much more memory in deep sleep mode: minimal power consumption seems crucial for this little foosball project. There are solutions (as explained in the blog post) but they require soldering. Wouldn't it be simpler to stick with the esp8266? Again, I'm no expert.

Srijal97: And I think [/url]this sensor would be a better choice.

Great!

The NodeMCU has an ESP8266 on board. Like with the Arduino, it's the peripherals that take most of the power.

If you really want to go lowest power, get an ESP-12E module and its breakout board. No USB interface (use a USB to TTL converter to connect to the TX/RX pins), no regulator, etc.

wvmarle: The NodeMCU has an ESP8266 on board. Like with the Arduino, it's the peripherals that take most of the power.

If you really want to go lowest power, get an ESP-12E module and its breakout board. No USB interface (use a USB to TTL converter to connect to the TX/RX pins), no regulator, etc.

Could you provide a link? I found several things but I'm not sure which one I should buy. What is the difference between the ESP-12E and this one: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13231 ?

I'm working with both NodeMCU (for initial development and experimenting) and the ESP-12E modules (for prototyping on perfboard and final projects). For the modules and breakout board, this is how they look like. Also read this guide about the ESP8266.

wvmarle: Also read this guide about the ESP8266.

Thank you! That guide is super clear.

I read this article which is particularly relevant for this project. Sounds like the SparkFun ESP8266 Thing is using only a tiny amount of power in deep sleep mode (compared to the nodeMCU). I feel like this is a good choice.

Yes, that looks good. Go ahead and start working!

I have one more concern before starting.

I need both a RTC module and a piezo vibration sensor. Both communicate with the esp8266 through the I2C protocol.

Will I be able to connect both of them to my esp8266 protocol?

I am not sure about how I am supposed to connect both of them to the esp8266.

It’s I2C. Same bus - takes only two pins. That’s the beauty of the I2C protocol.

That Piezo device you showed in an earlier post isn’t using I2C.

Yea, the piezo sensor isn't using I2C. You must've seen a different one somewhere else. Try reading these tutorials from Sparkfun, they're very informative: I2C Sparkfun

There are other hyperlinks to other tutorials as well, read as much as you can! :D

I'm sharing a concern regarding this piezo sensor. From what I read, it's pretty random.