Low res high fps Camera/line Scanner

Hi,
i would like to build an absolute rotary encoder. But I don’t like the cheap once with light sensors.
The other day i saw a guy who hacked a mouse camera with an arduino.
I think it would work great to pick up Graycode of a rotary disc. But the guy only got 10fps(due to the camera) which isn’t fast enough for me.
What also might work is a tiny line scanner with high fps.

Are there any cheap high frames per second, low resolution Cameras/line scanner that an arduino can still handle to process? (as many fps as possible…30 fps ain’t enough either!)

I know video can quickly get out of the league of an arduino…but maybe this could still work because of the low res (just e few pixels to get like 12bit Gray code).

regards,
Halo

But I don't like the cheap once with light sensors.

Hmmh, a camera is a light sensor too, excuse me, a lot of light sensors. Please define why a camera should be any better than a simple photo diode based rotary encoder.

What do you need that rotary encoder for? What precision is necessary? Please define if this is just an academic question (not to solve a real problem but only for the sake of doing it that way) or if you really have a project for it.

Hmmh, a camera is a light sensor too, excuse me, a lot of light sensors.

I know that. But as far as i know all analog light sensors come i a huge package size. For a e.g. 12 bit precision the encoder would get huge. All i could think of in terms of many sensors and small size was a camera/line scanner. Of cause if there is a small ic with a photo diode array let me know. Those would be better because you could use interrupts to trigger the measurement.

With a camera you would be getting motion blur...

It's more of an academic question and my aim is to get the rotary encoder as small as possible.

What sizes are we talking about? 12 bit is an extremely high resolution (about a tenth of a degree), in what kind of application do you need such an absolute precision?

i would like to build an absolute rotary encoder.

Have you thought about using the AS5040? This gives 10 bits resolution and is a hall effect absolute rotatory encoder in a small package.

@pylon Why must it always come down to why, when it should all be coming down to how? :) Let just say scalability for now. About the size....well just not 12 photo diodes in a row big ^^ @Grumpy_Mike 10bits are nice, but i don't like the whole hall effect idea. As far is i know they can be distracted by other magnetic sources e.g. a motor. If that is no longer the case please tell me and i'll give it another thought.

As far is i know they can be distracted by other magnetic sources

Well they are only sensitive to strong magnetic fields within about 2mm. Like all electronic components electro magnetic interference can affect them, that is down to the way the decoupling is done.

I used 4 in a recent project and had no interference problems but I was not using any motors so I can't say how sensitive they are.

I'll think about the AS5040 then. But I still think my previous ideas would make for a nice Projekt :D So if one knows about a nice optical IC, let me know!