M49SP-3K to Arduino Connection

Hi, so im trying to connect the M49SP-3K stepper motor from a samsung printer to arduino mega 2560. im going to ask if three 9 v battery connected in series is enough to power up the steper motor? Also, is the wiring connection attached here is correct? do i really need a capacitor? Thank you!

motor_m49sp_3k_e.pdf (59.6 KB)

The Pololu DRV8825 web page has good advice for connecting the driver. The capacitor is required.

If you mean PP3 type 9v batteries the answer is a definite NO. They are only for applications that need very low current.

While the motor is obviously designed for 24v it should work (at least for testing) with 12v. Try this Simple Stepper Code

Be sure to set the current limit on your DRV8825 to 1 amp to protect your motor.

…R
Stepper Motor Basics

Thank you! if the supply is more than 24V (32 V to be exact) will the motor be damaged??

chrisroque24: Thank you! if the supply is more than 24V (32 V to be exact) will the motor be damaged??

In general, the important thing for a stepper motor is not to exceed the permiited current. The motor driver can be adjusted to deal with that. The data sheet for your motor seems to specify a max of 24v but it does not explain why. Usually the coil winding insulation can deal with 100v or more.

If it was my motor I would probably chance the higher voltage - but don't blame me if the smoke escapes.

IIRC the DRV8825 can work with 35v or 40v so 32v should not be a problem unless there are voltage spikes that go higher than the DRV8825 is designed for.

...R