Mac - avrdude - Programmer not responding

Hi- I'm new to Arduino and I'm working on one of the examples in Banzi's Getting Started with Arduino book and I got the following error message:

Binary sketch size: 1640 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Shortly after this, my Mac displayed an error message that the Arduino that was plugged in the USB port was draining too much power. I find this hard to believe since it's only 5 volts.

In doing some research, it appears that some Mac users are having similar sorts of problems but I haven't had any luck in getting fixes. I have OS X 10.6.8 Any ideas? Thanks

Volts are not the same as amps. "Too much power" is draining too many milliamps.

Did you plug into a USB hub? If so, try plugging into the back of the Mac directly.

Thanks for responding. I’ve got it working again. I think what may have caused that error message is the circuit I created. I’m new to circuit and breadboards, etc. and I guess I placed the errors in the wrong locations. I’ve attached a photo if it’s helpful. Thanks.

Arduino1.jpg

SurfKauai13: Thanks for responding. I've got it working again. I think what may have caused that error message is the circuit I created. I'm new to circuit and breadboards, etc. and I guess I placed the errors in the wrong locations. I've attached a photo if it's helpful. Thanks.

Hi I am sorry if I necro-ing this threat.

I have the same problem. And until now it is not solved yet. :~ :~

Can you give me hint how you solved this?

n0talentGEEK: I have the same problem. And until now it is not solved yet. :~ :~

Uh, which problem? The avrdude issue (for which there are tons of articles already on it) or the current issue? The current issue is almost always a wiring problem.

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=76169.msg616624#msg616624 date=1323190093]

n0talentGEEK: I have the same problem. And until now it is not solved yet. :~ :~

Uh, which problem? The avrdude issue (for which there are tons of articles already on it) or the current issue? The current issue is almost always a wiring problem. [/quote]

The Mac problem about USB draining too much power and "programmer not responding" things.... I had case that several times the error occurred but then I keep click on Upload button then everything goes work again.

But this is quite annoy me because I am not sure whether I am going to upload successfully or fail. :~

Thanks for your answer btw. :)

n0talentGEEK: The Mac problem about USB draining too much power and "programmer not responding" things.... I had case that several times the error occurred but then I keep click on Upload button then everything goes work again.

Well if you are getting the "too much current" error, you need to fix that. I would suggest starting your own thread since it is a different problem from the original poster.

Either your board is faulty, the USB board can't provide enough current (it is faulty), or your circuit has a short circuit in it (most likely). There is no point in troubleshooting "programmer not responding" when you are already being told there is a hardware problem.

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=76169.msg617431#msg617431 date=1323267853]

n0talentGEEK: The Mac problem about USB draining too much power and "programmer not responding" things.... I had case that several times the error occurred but then I keep click on Upload button then everything goes work again.

Well if you are getting the "too much current" error, you need to fix that. I would suggest starting your own thread since it is a different problem from the original poster.

Either your board is faulty, the USB board can't provide enough current (it is faulty), or your circuit has a short circuit in it (most likely). There is no point in troubleshooting "programmer not responding" when you are already being told there is a hardware problem.

[/quote]

So what you mean is that I have something wrong with the board (and everything that attached into the board)?

Okay then thank you for your assistance :)

n0talentGEEK: So what you mean is that I have something wrong with the board (and everything that attached into the board)?

Or it could simply be that your circuit draws more current than USB can provide.

In any event, start a new thread with details about your circuit. No need to respond or send thanks here. Just create your own thread to get help with your specific problem.