MAC: Burn Bootloader issues

Hello,

When I try to burn a new Bootloader onto an Nano using another Nano this produces the following output when using Mac. If I do it on windows 10 it's completely fine for some reason. Same settings, versions etc. I tried to load the "ArduinoISP" sketch using both windows and Mac, and it produces the same result, ie it works on Windows but not Mac.. :/

(Mac uses Port: dev/cu.usbserial-1430, PC uses Com4)

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x14

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x10 avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): unknown response=0x12 Error while burning bootloader.

I know I can do it all on my windows machine, but since I sometimes want to be able to bring a project with me, I need everything also work on the Mac...

So any one have any ideas on what the issue can be, or has seen this before? I run the Arduino 1.8.9 IDE on both Windows 10 and OSX Mojave.

(Uploading sketches seems to work fine on the Mac so far, but I only tried the blink sketch so far to test)

Do you have a 10 uF capacitor connected between the reset and ground pin on the Nano you're using as an Arduino as ISP programmer?

pert: Do you have a 10 uF capacitor connected between the reset and ground pin on the Nano you're using as an Arduino as ISP programmer?

Hey,

Nope, I don't have that, didn't think it was needed since it all works fine using windows. (and did it not see it set up like that on any of the tutorials I checked online)

I'll give it a try and see if it changes anything.

Br Linus

It's hit and miss whether the capacitor is needed. Arduino recently made a change to the Arduino as ISP programmer definition that makes it much more likely for it to be necessary. It certainly won't do any harm so it's at least worth a try.