Mac fails to find nano/ftdi serial device

Running Mac OSX 10.6 on a MacBook Pro, received two boards today: Uno, and Nano 3.X (Uses ATMega328). Uno works fine, but can't find serial device for nano.

Searching forum, main problem seems to be failure to install FTDI driver, as found here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

But I did this, and still no luck. I installed version 2.2.17 of the VCP for the Intel Mac, and even tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions (removing /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext between each trial). I tried backing up to 2.2.16. I tried restarting the computer. I tried re-installing the Arduino IDE after the FTDI driver was in place. I tried various combinations of starting the IDE with and without the device plugged in. I tried different USB ports.

No matter what I've tried, I get no /dev/usb devices appearing (they do when I plug in the Uno). I have not tried every ridiculous combination of the above options. But I'm running out of steam.

One potential red flag (or red herring) is that the de-installation instructions for the VCP driver involve removing not only the FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext file, but the /Library/Receipts/ftdi* files. But I have no such files in Receipts. Was the installation unsuccessful, despite the big green check mark and happy beep at the end (and message that installation was successful)? I doubt this is the problem, but geez, I've been through the wringer on this one.

One other possible anomaly: the Uno default program had the LED on a slow blink pattern. The Nano blinks four times quickly and thenpauses briefly, repeating each second. Is this some indication that the wrong program is loaded or some other weirdness? May be perfectly normal, but I'm casting about for any differences between the working Uno and recalcitrant Nano.

Thanks for any help!

What does system profiler list under USB when the Nano is attached? (Apple -> About this Mac -> More Info..)

I see nothing to indicate a Nano USB presence: just bluetooth, keyboard/trackpad, memory card reader, and iSight.

When I plug in the Uno, I get an extra device on the USB Bus, called Communication Device, with details:

Communication Device:

Product ID: 0x0043
Vendor ID: 0x2341
Version: 0.01
Serial Number: 64131383331351D0C0A0
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Arduino (www.arduino.cc)
Location ID: 0x06200000 / 3
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

and associated /dev/cu.usbmodem621 and /dev/tty.usbmodem621

Still nothing for Nano. Have the VCP 64-bit 2.2.17 for Mac OSX 10.6 installed.

The Nano should show up as a FTDI device. If it isn't, it would suggest the FTDI isn't geting enumerated.

Where'd you get the Nano from?

Got it from Jameco. I can potentially test someone else's Nano and see if I got a bum device.

RESOLVED!

It's stupid, really. I borrowed a friend's nano AND cable, and everything worked straight away—including my own Nano. Only then did I notice the little tag on the cable I had been using (after digging out of a bag in my closet) saying: Charge Only Cable.

How many times must I learn that it's the connections! So if you're reading this thread and having similar problems (seemingly tried everything and every combination on the software side, check the cable! You may be "lucky" like me and be using a cable that even has a label saying it won't work!

I had the same exact problem, but, it wasn't my cable.

My Uno worked fine, but could not get my Nano to find the Tools _ Serial Port.

Then I installed the " FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg " from the FTDI site and a serial port became available: dev/tty.usbserial-A9Y9DZJN It works like a charm now.

Hope this helps! DS