Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync:

I am having issues loading a program with my 2012 Macbook pro 2.9 GHz 8Gb ram on my Arduino Nano Atmega328. I can run the software just fine the first time I try but the second time I try to upload a new sketch, it gives me the error avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0 ten times. If I unplug it the card it works again or press the reset button three times really quickly before it finishes uploading the sketch then it works. I have tried it on a windows and linux machine and the board is fine. Does anyone know how to fix my mac so it does not do this anymore?

Found another link and installed correct drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Works perfectly now. Sorry for the post seams like all new mac users will need to do this.

ultramantis: I am having issues loading a program with my 2012 Macbook pro 2.9 GHz 8Gb ram on my Arduino Nano Atmega328. I can run the software just fine the first time I try but the second time I try to upload a new sketch, it gives me the error avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0 ten times. If I unplug it the card it works again or press the reset button three times really quickly before it finishes uploading the sketch then it works. I have tried it on a windows and linux machine and the board is fine. Does anyone know how to fix my mac so it does not do this anymore?

Don't think it's the Mac that needs fixing.

I think the Arduino dev team really need to think hard what to do with these constant problems occurring on Mac systems (especially with the very, very populair MacBooks series). I had problems with the Arduino IDE since version 1.01 not working as it should. Constant kernel panic crashes and as a cause of that HDD failures to the point I had to buy new ones. Every new version of the IDE made it a little worse.

Make a choice Arduino devs. Write a working IDE for Mac (MacBooks) or just say 'people with a Mac (Book) are out of luck with our IDE ! Get with the program Yosemite ships with Java 7 (and that's a good thing since I hope that every Java iteration will bring more safety for the rest of my system!!). So yes, unfortunately you have to deal with different IDE versions for Mac's.

At the moment I can't (trust issue!) use my Arduino's no more. The version that should work with Java 7 (IDE 1.5.8) doesn't (stk500_getsync() error).

Good luck! (From a Arduino aficionado and advocate since many years)

I have read through dozens of these issues, and it nearly always is a MACBook PRO, not hearing many or any at all issues on IMAC. And I do not think enough use the MACBook AIR to show if it is a issue as well. But pinning who is or where is the fault, is not clear. Is the IDE release for OSX only being tested and developed for IMAC desktops but no effort to insure working compliance on MACBooks? I have been studying the hardware aspect of the MACBook vs IMAC as well looking at the difference on the USB ports of the two. I know and have seen issues with MACBook for several devices (external drives and print devices) connected to USB ports. Most of those seem to be when limits are pushed on the current draw on the port. On those devices using a powered USB hub in line has solved the issues. I have posed the question several times if any one has attempted to use a USB hub to buffer the port usage in efforts to curb the problem.

So far have had no replies.

The usb powered hub works in some cases on my Arduinos depending on what Arduino it is and what the usb chip is on the Arduino board. My opinion is that there's no all in one solution for the MacBooks. Sometimes I can plug them into the hub other times in the MBP USB ports. The same holds true for those USB to serial TTL boards with the CP or FTDI chips. Mel

Thanks for all your help. This is all very useful. What is really weird is I teach a class and ordered 10 Arduino Nanos. Only two of them work on my MacBook consistently that I have tested so far. 6 others load once and then won't anymore. One of them works constantly but I cannot tell what I did that was different than the others. I will most likely use it on my iMacs. My class rooms have PCs so it won't be an issue. At least I found one that works well. That one also did not work at first, but after playing around without for several hours just started working. Good to know that I am not the only one.

Something else annoying about their free software is that my Macbook cannot recognize my wireless Apple mouse, as soon as I start the software, my computer instantly drops my mouse. Very annoying! I doubt that is even user fixable. Definitely some glitches in the software. I am just glad 2 out of 10 boards work on my Mac.

I hope they continue supporting Macs, but maybe they just need to spend some more effort developing the software.