Mac OS X Leopard Support

My hobby computer is only capable of using Mac OS X v10.5.8 (Leopard). It is all I can afford plus it is working very well.

So it was with deep concern that when I tried to install the latest arduino software, I was told that I live in the dark ages and I need to spend thousands of dollars on a new computer.

Why have you elected to remove me from the collection of enthusiasts who have a machine that is older than 9 months by requiring something other than the machine I have?

Please support my older machine. It can't be revved beyond Java 1.5.

Gary

Have you tried any of the older releases? http://arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases

By “older than 9 months” did you mean “older than 9 years”? Leopard was new in 2009 and if that is the newest OS X your hardware can support your hardware is probably 4 or 5 years older than that.

The 1.0.6 release works fine with my UNO R3 board and Leopard. But I want to work with a DUE board.

And my computer was new in 2002. Its age made it a VERY inexpensive machine to buy and use for hobby work. I certainly can’t justify spending more just for fun.

Gary

P.S. Apple's release cycle is about every 9 months. And since they only support "Current minus one", in 18 months a new machine today will be "obsolete".

Gary

garyrice: P.S. Apple's release cycle is about every 9 months. And since they only support "Current minus one", in 18 months a new machine today will be "obsolete".

Your 2002 Mac could run the latest operating system until August 28, 2009 when Leopard was replaced with Snow Leopard and run a fully supported operating system until July 20, 2011 when Snow Leopard was replaced by Lion (that's 9 years of OS support!) but a Mac bought new today won't be able to run the latest OS X in 2016? I don't think so. :) There will always come a time when a computer won't be recent enough to run the software you want to run. Either you live with the limitations of your hardware or you upgrade. If you want to run the latest Mac OS X (10.10 Yosemite) you need at least an iMac from mid-2007 (7 years old). That will cost you about $300 on eBay. If you don't need the latest OS to run Arduino 1.5.x you can probably get something even older and even cheaper.

My current computer is already paid for. And it still works. That is $300 cheaper than your idea.

Gary

garyrice: The 1.0.6 release works fine with my UNO R3 board and Leopard. But I want to work with a DUE board.

johnwasser: There will always come a time when a computer won't be recent enough to run the software you want to run. Either you live with the limitations of your hardware or you upgrade.

garyrice: My current computer is already paid for. And it still works. That is $300 cheaper than your idea.

So you chose Option 1: Live with the limitations of your hardware.

So you chose Option 1: Live with the limitations of your hardware.

No. Actually I chose to rattle some cages in hopes of getting what is probably an arbitrary decision on someone's part to require a newer version of JAVA than is actually necessary to support the 1.5.8 release.

Thus: my original post.

Gary

Isn't the IDE Open Source? You could fork the project and create a version that works on Java 1.5.

I don't know enough about "Open Source" and the IDE to answer that question.

Gary

Open Source means that the source code for the Arduino IDE is published. You can find it here: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/tree/1.5.8 You can download the source files and try to edit them to work on Java 1.5.

Have you tried earlier releases? The release notes for of Arduino 1.5.7 BETA includes: "* Moved to appbundler for building releases for MacOSX. (Haavar Valeur) This should remove dependency from Java 1.6 on recent MacOSX." I don't know if that means that 1.5.7 works on Java 1.5 but it might be worth a try.

That was an interesting suggestion.

I tried the v1.5.7 and v1.5 betas.

v1.5.7 complained just like 1.5.8. v1.5 simply launched and immediately quit. The console log stated that an exception had been thrown in main ().

So "no cigar".

Gary