Magnet

If I use a magnet on my projects door will it effect the electronics?

I am thinking of using a small magnet to hold the door shut on my portable weather station.
Will they effect the electronics? The components are Pro mini 3.3v 8m, Nokia 5110 LCD screen, BME280 sensor and a boost converter.

Thanks

Hutzpah

Yeah, that's fine.

Thanks you DrAzzy

Hutzpah:
If I use a magnet on my projects door will it effect the electronics?

I am thinking of using a small magnet to hold the door shut on my portable weather station.
Will they effect the electronics? The components are Pro mini 3.3v 8m, Nokia 5110 LCD screen, BME280 sensor and a boost converter.

Thanks

Hutzpah

So long as its not very close to the boost converter you'll be OK. Boost converters have inductors which
are sensitive to magnetic fields.

Most electronics is unaffected by static magnetic fields.

The good news is magnetic field strength falls off as the cube of distance, so a bit of separation will
make a huge difference.

MarkT:
So long as its not very close to the boost converter you'll be OK.

Yes. I believe "very close" is measured in an inch, or two, or less.

ReverseEMF:
Yes. I believe "very close" is measured in an inch, or two, or less.

Probably a cm or so, the flux density really does plummet away from the magnet. It takes a
large magnet to have appreciable field at 2 inches, a few millitesla isn't going to matter, but 100mT
might.

Note that some kinds of ferrite, as used in power inductors, has its properties premanently changed by
strong permanent magnets. If in doubt assume this is the case and avoid contact with strong fields.