Mailbox notifier

So i am considering to build a mailbox notifier, like many have already done, but also thinking about the best approach to this. Many guides i have seen on the web uses a component that reads ambient light values and the arduino reacts if this value changes. My problem with that method is that the Arduino needs to constantly read the values, which i think will require more power = less time between battery swaps.

So what would you guys recommend is the best approach?

A physical switch connected to an interrupt. Put the processor to sleep, and the interrupt will wake it.

AWOL: A physical switch connected to an interrupt. Put the processor to sleep, and the interrupt will wake it.

The switch have been on my mind, but im afraid it will not be possible in my case due to space limitations. The mailbox we have where i live is a little wierd looking, and i cant fit much on the lid

REFLECTOR AND IR wake, look for reflection, sleep

Hi,

The switch have been on my mind, but im afraid it will not be possible in my case due to space limitations. The mailbox we have where i live is a little wierd looking, and i cant fit much on the lid

Can you post a picture of your weird looking mailbox so we can possibly make better suggestions. Is it possible to mount a micro switch inside, on the side of the box s the lid is in contact with it when closed?

Tom...... :)

TomGeorge: Hi, Can you post a picture of your weird looking mailbox so we can possibly make better suggestions. Is it possible to mount a micro switch inside, on the side of the box s the lid is in contact with it when closed?

Tom...... :)

true, although the box is weird looking, they make many weird looking switches !