Major Version Error

I have searched, read trouble shooting, etc. so please forgive me if this has been answered, I can't find it. I am a brand new user of Arduino, I have been trying to install and set it up with a "Learners Kit". It came with a smraza UNOr3 board. I installed the IDE but when I try to compile/upload a sketch, I get this error:

Arduino: 1.8.11 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Uno"

loading hardware from C:\Users\Doug\Documents\Arduino\hardware: loading package arduino-1.8.5: invalid version dir C:\Users\Doug\Documents\Arduino\hardware\arduino-1.8.5\hardware\arduino\avr: no major version found

Error compiling for board Arduino Uno.

It is being used a an older laptop that I don't use for anything else, hence the 8.1 OS.

I followed all the initial setup to the letter concerning board type, port, etc.

How should I proceed?

Thanks, Doug

The solution is to delete C:\Users\Doug\Documents\Arduino\hardware\arduino-1.8.5. It appears you put an installation of Arduino IDE 1.8.5 in your sketchbook folder for some reason. Please be very careful when deleting things from your computer. When in doubt, back up!

Additional clean up instructions attached in case you need them.

Bob.

CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf (347 KB)