make a quad-Copter with arduino / Android

hello every body , I'm pretty news to the whole Arduino scene but I find it really interesting. I just need some pointers on how to accomplish my projects. So before I ask my questions, let me just say sorry if they are "noob" questions and if I seem vague in my explanations. Don't hesitate to ask me to clarify if you guys don't understand.

i have a final project to do .. so I choose a quadcopter based arduino uno with wifi shield ... and i will make an application android to pilot it .. and i will use the Accelerometer sensor ...

I ask about the wifi communication .. if any one have a simple tutoriel .. how to communicate the android device with arduino card over wifi ...

And how use the accelerometer of my android device to controle the Motors .

thank you

PS: If I posted in the wrong thread sorry about it. Just move it.

that is a LOT to learn !
i'm a newbie myself and i'm not sure how fast your "final project" needs to be done, and what other background that you have in programming and/or electronics. (i'm guessing you are an Android programmer)

but i would suggest to learn about the "individual sections" one-by-one.

1. learn to control motors that are connected - via Motor shield or search for "H-Bridge" for the many tutorials online.
  2. then learn the communication method - to Android device you can use Bluetooth which i'm doing now, or what i intend to learn next; what you're thinking of, via Ethernet (wireless version) - there are shields for both methods.

if you are an Android programmer and you know how to access your device's Accelerometer sensors then you "only" need to send that to the Arduino and it will process that to the motors.

otherwise there is a third step and that is how to use an actual accelerometer connected to the Arduino - common modules are MMA7361 or ADXL 345 - search for those and there are also MANY tutorials.

finally, quadcopter is VERY complicated - because of 3-axes to consider - i'm still learning with ONE, and that is to make a self-balancing robot on wheels.

good luck !

YES ,You can say im a android programmer ...

i still searching about wifi communication ...

for exemple , i want a simple project that allume/off a leds with android application

this is my problem right now :slight_smile:

rouiniho:
YES ,You can say im a android programmer ...

i still searching about wifi communication ...

for exemple , i want a simple project that allume/off a leds with android application

this is my problem right now :slight_smile:

baby steps !

i would say if you want "simple project" - then start with Bluetooth connection, this is what i started with because i'm not an Android programmer, maybe using "just" a Bluetooth Terminal app is too simple for you - but at least you will learn what is happening on the Arduino side.

If you are not already reasonably good at flying a quadcopter I suggest you find a different project because you won't have the skills needed to debug it. You won't know whether it crashed because of a software problem or an operator error.

Flying skills can't be learned from a textbook or a web forum without a working quadcopter.

...R

Robin2:
If you are not already reasonably good at flying a quadcopter I suggest you find a different project because you won't have the skills needed to debug it. You won't know whether it crashed because of a software problem or an operator error.

Flying skills can't be learned from a textbook or a web forum without a working quadcopter.

...R

what if it's an autonomous quadcopter ?
wouldn't the "problem" become just one issue then ?
wouldn't the IMU feedback include any aerodynamic changes - let's say make a program that just keeps the 'copter hovering in a single position.

this might be something i'd like to try further down the line but i imagine there'd be quite complex algorithms that i'd need to understand - things like PID controlling too ?

An off-the-shelf autonomous quadcopter that you just want to add Arduino control to is obviously different from an autonomous quadcopter that you build from scratch yourself. I don't know which you have in mind.

I would be wary about adding extra weight to an off-the-shelf quadcopter as I suspect their power will have been carefully matched to their own weight. It would be easy to experiment by attaching a load to it to find out its limits before you spend time on the Arduino stuff.

My earlier comment about flying experience is just as relevant (maybe more so) to a DIY autonomous quadcopter. If you don't have the experience to identify a problem you won't be able to fix the problem.

...R

retronet_RIMBA1ZO:
this might be something I'd like to try further down the line but i imagine there'd be quite complex algorithms that I'd need to understand

Got that one dead right!

This question just keeps on coming up - "I want to build a quadcopter from scratch".

The (correct) answer is always the same - buy a complete kit and assemble it. Learn to fly it (using an appropriate "tether" is a good start). Once you can fly it back and forth through all the doorways of your house a dozen times, it might be about time to start experimenting.

I don't have one (yet), but I certainly understand the principle. :smiley:

Might be easier to get a standard RC quadcopter and adapt an arduino/android to control the RC transmitter. Below is a site that might have info. Bottom is some previous quadcopter discussions.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=quadcopter&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc%2Findex&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=