Make a rediction for control Arduino over the world ?

Hello,

I make a program for control some LED with internet, but now I want to control this LED "in the world". I give 192.168.1.95 adress for my mini web server. How I can "put this on internet" ? I thinks with IP domain with MAC adress security ??!!

Thanks you very much for your replies !

Have a look at the instructions for port forwarding on your router.

Dlazzy:
192.168.1.95 adress for my mini web server

You're going to have to expose that web server on a public IP address. What you put above is on your local network.

jasmine2501:

Dlazzy:
192.168.1.95 adress for my mini web server

You're going to have to expose that web server on a public IP address. What you put above is on your local network.

AWOL:
Have a look at the instructions for port forwarding on your router.

Thank you, can you show me how to make that ? Because I'm not expert in network ?

No really, due to security considerations, you should probably handle that yourself. You'll need to use the documentation for your web server to figure out how to secure it, so people can't use it to tunnel into your local network and raid your bank account. I don't feel it's appropriate to advise you on that because I could easily advise you to create a security problem. In order for me to advise you correctly, I would need information which would compromise your security. Google is your answer here. Creating a public web server can be pretty complicated especially if it lives on a home network. Your ISP may not even allow it. So, there's lots of stuff you might have to do, including possibly changing your internet service.

jasmine2501:
No really, due to security considerations, you should probably handle that yourself. You'll need to use the documentation for your web server to figure out how to secure it, so people can't use it to tunnel into your local network and raid your bank account. I don't feel it's appropriate to advise you on that because I could easily advise you to create a security problem. In order for me to advise you correctly, I would need information which would compromise your security. Google is your answer here. Creating a public web server can be pretty complicated especially if it lives on a home network. Your ISP may not even allow it. So, there's lots of stuff you might have to do, including possibly changing your internet service.

So, for me it's impossible to make that ??? What is the point of a Ethernet Shield if we cannot control it in the world ?
I'm frustrated because this is my project for my school exam... And I'm scared now...

So, for me it's impossible to make that ??? What is the point of a Ethernet Shield if we cannot control it in the world ?
I'm frustrated because this is my project for my school exam... And I'm scared now...

No, it isn't impossible, no-one said it was.
You need, as I pointed out earlier, to find out about port forwarding (and possibly dynamic DNS) on your router.

Don't be afraid. I use an ethernet shield behind a router with a destination nat (dstnat) to my Arduino. It translates and forwards the public ip to your Arduino private ip. Some routers call it port forwarding or a DMZ. I have exposed mine to the internet, and it survived, as did my bank account.

But jasmine2501 is correct about your ISP. If you have a residential account, they may not allow you to use the major ports for your website, like port 80. If you use a different port, like 8080 or similar, you can usually get around that restriction. I have a commercial account with my ISP so I can use port 80.

Thank you , I search more on Google, and if I have a problem I repost here ! :slight_smile:

If you have a home router, post the make and model. I use the below free dynamic ip service.

I think I make a mistake when I call my mini web server.
For me a mini web server is the ethernet shield Arduino because he can create a IP and a web page, send and recieve some values.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to say you can't do it, I only meant to say you need to do it, we can't really tell you how. In order to tell you what to do, we would need to know lots of information about your network, and it's not a good idea to post that information on forums. This can be easily done - as pointed out by others, all you need to do is make incoming traffic on port 80 go to your web server - forward port 80 to your web server. You can do this securely which has also been pointed out. It is not easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is.

Also, wouldn't it be good enough to show network control of your device, why the need to expose it to the internet?

My project is : (it's not real, but we need to demonstrate it's possible, it's for an exam)

A person buy arduino uno + shield ethernet already programed, he just put the alimentation and connect the ethernet cable to the ethernet box. In a website he enter the login of her arduino card. Then he can control light, and a LDR send some information to the server, and for example if the value is 200 (very bright) the web site send an alert, it's not necessary to turn on the light here. So I need to know how to send the arduino information to the web.
Now I can control LED and see the value of the LDR in the web browser but just with a local ip adress.

How can I control my LED and the value of the LDR on internet, in the world ?

Thank you !

Hello,

I found some tutorial but I don't understand everythings because I'm French and I have a french internet box (SFR Neuf Box). I found WAN, port forwarding... But I didn't found a complete tutorial !

Can you help me ?

Thank you !

zoomkat asked about your router make and model a few posts ago. Without that information, we can't help you configure it.

SurferTim:
zoomkat asked about your router make and model a few posts ago. Without that information, we can't help you configure it.

I reply :

"I think I make a mistake when I call my mini web server.
For me a mini web server is the ethernet shield Arduino because he can create a IP and a web page, send and recieve some values."

So I don't have "routeur", I just a internet box like you in USA.

Is it a SFR Neuf Box? Can you find a manual for it in English?

If the box has a "port forward" section in the setup, then that is it.

SurferTim:
Is it a SFR Neuf Box? Can you find a manual for it in English?

If the box has a "port forward" section in the setup, then that is it.

We can open port with neufbox, I can't found notice for SFR Neuf Box because it's French !
This is a picture of the NAT section :

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/121879Sanstitre1.png

Ok, I don't speak/read French very well, but I think I can figure it out. I will use port 8080 as the public port to possibly avoid any block your ISP may use.

Set "Nom" to the name you want the rule to have. I suggest "arduino".
Set "Ports externes" to port 8080
Set "adresse ip de destination" to the ip of your Arduino.
Set "Ports de destination" to 80

Then try to access it from the internet using
http://1.2.3.4:8080
Replace 1.2.3.4 with the public ip assigned to the SFR box.

SurferTim:
Ok, I don't speak/read French very well, but I think I can figure it out. I will use port 8080 as the public port to possibly avoid any block your ISP may use.

Set "Nom" to the name you want the rule to have. I suggest "arduino".
Set "Ports externes" to port 8080
Set "adresse ip de destination" to the ip of your Arduino.
Set "Ports de destination" to 80

Then try to access it from the internet using
http://1.2.3.4:8080
Replace 1.2.3.4 with the public ip assigned to the SFR box.

Thank you, but when I enter http://88.XXX.XXX.XXX:8080 I have a infinite loading.

There is the configuration :

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/481130Sanstitre1.png