Make microcontroller

Hello,
I am intrested in making a microcontroller (from scratch, so no pre-made chips, only basic stuff such as leds, diodes, transistors, and some basic ICs such as counter chips, shift registers, etc.). I don't want too much detail, just a general idea.
Thanks

Not practical - even the simplest modern microcontrollers have the capabilities of thousands of individual logic chips. You'd end up with a huge pile of electronics to try to get the same functionality that a single tiny chip could do - why would you want to waste time and money like that?

If you'd like to build or learn more about how you can build you own "computer", you should have a look at this transistor based 4 bit adder!

DrAzzy:
why would you want to waste time and money like that?

Because it can be fun and one can learn from it.

As implied start with the building blocks. Build yourself an ALU first - Or use a 74181 if you want to cheat 8^), and then build a register array, then hook up the register array to the ALU so that you can perform any operation on any two registers, then create a control circuit that reads a memory address as pointed to by one of the registers - or you can just create a separate program counter - and uses the info in that address to perform your ALU operations.

and then we get to interrupts...

It would be a fun project.

hansibull:
If you'd like to build or learn more about how you can build you own "computer", you should have a look at this transistor based 4 bit adder!

Making your own 4 bit computer from transistors - YouTube

I agree. It is a good start. I made one. He provides good instructions and resources.

I think it is a good start because once you make it, you see how much work it was and how many hours it took to just add two 4-bit numbers and then you kind of stop thinking about making something more complex out of discreet components.

He said MSI would be OK. Even if you limit yourself to 74XXX chips, it is much easier, especially if you allow yourself to use the 74181.

Here is the Apollo181, made from 7400 series chips: Build your own computer CPU using digital Logic & Memory before microprocessors: APOLLO181 - YouTube

hansibull:

Making your own 4 bit computer from transistors - YouTube

That looks like a real doable project for a beginner who wants to learn soldering (and desoldering!) The logic is visible in the construction of the circuit.

Or wirewrap. Lot easier to correct errors and make changes.