Making a BT - Serial USB bridge, also can BT/Ethernet bridge be done?

Hi there

I’m currently working on bluetooth serial communication to my arduino projects

Now I was studying the Software serial library (examples better said) and it has come to my attention (if I understood correctly) that one can, using the Software serial library to establish a two way communication between the native USB serial of an Arduino Uno or Nano and a virtual TX/RX communication using 2 digital pins to let´s say a bluetooth or maybe even wifi.

Then it occurred to me, if using this as kickstart, I can make bridge between a male USB port and BT.

The reason for this is to monitor this little guy

Who uses serial USB connection at a baud rate of 38400 with the PC Software, via bluetooth.

Can this be done directly with an UNO, a HC-05 BT module, and a Male USB type B header? or do I need an FTDI chip? (I´m not yet very acquainted to serial comm.

FIY, the “Smartpack” appears as “Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge”

Also I would want to do an ethernet/BT bridge to manage some other HW without wire (Nokia eNodeb Airscale and 9926 Alcatel Lucen eNodeb)

Now I was studying the Software serial library (examples better said) and it has come to my attention (if I understood correctly) that one can, using the Software serial library to establish a two way communication between the native USB serial of an Arduino Uno or Nano and a virtual TX/RX communication using 2 digital pins to let´s say a bluetooth or maybe even wifi.

The first error is that the USB serial is not handled by the SoftwareSerial but by a separate chip (ATmega16U2) using an appropriate firmware. The second error is that you didn't recognize that USB has master devices (hosts, usually a PC) and slave devices (mice, keyboards, printers, etc.). A standard UNO has no USB host capabilities. To do what you want you might use an Arduino Yun or change to a Raspberry Pi.

The hc05 cannot be configured as master and the USB as slave? Or, using the rig with the mentioned elements, cannot be configured to act as a transparent communication between BT and USB?

So the pc would be the host through bt. Then bt would have transparent comm with the USB serial to uart in the smartpack? Sorry to bother.

Also can something similar be made with bt and ethernet? I have a ethernet to serial usb device. From tp link

I was inspired by this post

Instead of a keyboard I would use the smartpack, and, it needs to have both way communication (reading settings from smartpack and send new settings to the smartpack)

You can get a USB host shield for Uno. I imagine there is something similar for Nano. The configuration of HC-05 is a separate issue and irrelevant anyway. You could use an Ethernet shield for output. Once the signal is aquired by Arduino, it can be transmitted, recorded, or diplayed just like any other data.

Nick_Pyner:
You can get a USB host shield for Uno. I imagine there is something similar for Nano. The configuration of HC-05 is a separate issue and irrelevant anyway. You could use an Ethernet shield for output. Once the signal is aquired by Arduino, it can be transmitted, recorded, or diplayed just like any other data.

Thanks Nick for your time and effort.

Now that I see that is feasible I shall study more the documentation of each part and try to come up with something.

Regards!

I´ve found this tutorial on internet and was more or less what I intended

Basically I would use a laptop with a BT dongle, then the HC-05+PL2303 USB to Serial converter wired like the tutorial, then connect the USB (I shall modify it for type B usb) to the smartpack

Is this ok? or do I need something else?

Thanks again

Maybe I'm missing your intention, but as I understand it, you wish to feed data from black box to laptop via bluetooth with Arduino as an intermediary.

BlackBox USB port > cable > Arduino USB host shield> Arduino > HC-05 > wireless > PC.
The above assumes laptop has bluetooth built-in. If not add $4 bluetooth dongle to vacant USB port thereon. The BlackBox>Arduino cable would be the one you currently use.

Frankly I would be surprised if you can't find a bluetooth USB A dongle that goes straight into BlackBox, thereby absolving you of all this Arduino stuff.

I believe the PL2303 is serial device that enables you to programme an Arduino that has no on-board UART, like a Pro Mini. I believe you can also use it to configure HC-05, but this is an Arduino forum so I don't know why you would want to do that, and there is nothing to suggest you need to configure HC-05 anyway. Don't buy it until you are sure you need it, which is probably not now.