Making a Lockbox which could be unlocked over internet.

Hi there,
So I am looking to get some guidance on how to accomplish my goal. The end result is me at my house, unlocking a box which is located at my friend's house. I am looking for an economical and reliable solution to the problem. Help will be much appreciated. Thanks :smiley:

Buy a padlock. Use it to secure the box. You take the key. Your friend takes the locked box.

There are a plethora of choices available to unlock the box. You travel with the key to your friend. Your friend travels with the locked box to you. You both travel to an agreed upon location. You mail the key to your friend. Your friend mails the locked box to you. You both mail your respective component to a third party. You make a copy of the key which you mail. You email a picture of the key which your friend uses to construct their own key. Etcetera.

It's part of a game. Whoever has the box should not be able to open it. Rather, the other person should be able to remotely on demand whilst being in another state.

A padlock with a code wheel is another possibility. You need only send a number!

Huh. I had no idea there are combination locks available with letters instead of numbers. I wonder if it is easier to remember a combination composed of letters?

Looks like Grainger (a rather expensive U.S. vendor) has a few good choices available for less than $10 that are guaranteed delivery by Dec 1.

Thing is, it will need to be used multiple times by the same person, without needing to send a package back and forth. Like, if the person at point A meets the requirements, the person at point b opens the box, which is at point A. The person at point A would then use and replace the contents, and close the box, which could not be opened again until the requirements were met and the person at point B opens it again, which may be multiple times in a day.

A rolling code meets the requirements...
https://www.google.com/search?q=rolling+code

If it is a game, get a combination lock from DollarTree for $1 then text the combination to the person when ready to open the box.

Maybe this will help for internet

Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266 Breakout

Here is more random info I have gleaned.

Send texts & phone calls

Alarm System Sending SMTP and Text Messages (using ESP8266)

This project brings support for ESP8266 chip to the Arduino environment. It lets you write sketches using familiar Arduino functions and libraries, and run them directly on ESP8266, no external microcontroller required.

ESP8266 Arduino NetIO Server Demo

Operate a servo from an Android cell phone.

electrodragon has esp8266 info