Making a motor blink

I am new to arduino and I am trying to make a motor blink like the led in the first lesson. I get an led to work but when I go and plug the DC motor included with the arduino uno it will not work. I have tried everything and nothing will work.

Jacknye:
I am new to arduino and I am trying to make a motor blink like the led in the first lesson. I get an led to work but when I go and plug the DC motor included with the arduino uno it will not work. I have tried everything and nothing will work.

Some people say when a motor doesn't run, it is "on the blink". Is this what you mean? I do not relate blinking with motors. Please explain. And identify the motor and how you have things connected. You surely are not trying to power an electric motor with an Arduino pin, are you?

Paul

You can't power a motor from the Arduino.

You will need a motor driver of some sort, and a separate motor power supply. Connect the grounds.

The simplest setup for one directional rotation is the schematic below (the diode D1 and a logic level MOSFET is required), but see Pololu for many more options.

I get an led to work but when I go and plug the DC motor included with the arduino uno it will not work.

Did you try using DC motor driver? most people using dc motor not directly plug into arduino pin, but plug into the driver first. Hope it can help : [u]https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-use-the-L293D-Motor-Driver-Arduino-Tutorial/[/u]

A couple of months ago I bought a Arduino Uno. I am trying to use the Arduino to make a dc motor blink. I used the basic code and could make a led blink, but when I plug in the motor it seems to not have enough power to run. I am new to Arduino so I am still learning the basics. I was wondering if I would be able to use my current Arduino uno to blink the motor or if I would need to buy a new Arduino to fulfill the task. If I have to buy a new one what Arduino would work best? :slight_smile:

Show your sketch.
Show a schematic (photo of handdrawn is fine) with all connections.
Give the specifications of the motor. If it's the one that comes with a starter kit, it should more than likely work if you follow the directions provided in the starter kit book/cd.

This is in the wrong section; installation and troubleshooting is not for help with your project :wink: I will report your post so a moderator can move it to a better section.

@Jacknye, do not cross-post. Threads merged.

Jacknye:
A couple of months ago I bought a Arduino Uno. I am trying to use the Arduino to make a dc motor blink. I used the basic code and could make a led blink, but when I plug in the motor it seems to not have enough power to run. I am new to Arduino so I am still learning the basics. I was wondering if I would be able to use my current Arduino uno to blink the motor or if I would need to buy a new Arduino to fulfill the task. If I have to buy a new one what Arduino would work best? :slight_smile:

Let's just assume you know what the word 'blink' means in general. If not, then the meaning of 'blink' for the LED is to make the light become momentarily lit for some amount of time, then make it turn off momentarily, and then turn it back on again, then off etc.... in this cyclic repeated fashion. That is .... make it flash.

For a motor, it is generally not generally a light-emitting device. So I assume you just want to make the motor rotate momentarily, then stop rotating momentarily, then rotate momentarily etc. Is that right?

As the forum members rightly indicated....the arduino hasn't been designed to provide enough power to make the motor turn. So you need an intermediate device - an interface device ------ a motor driver, and possibly an external power supply.