Making a quadcopter with Intel Galileo (arduino)

Hello guys,

my first post over here so please dont kill me if its on the wrong section. :)

I am expecting two Intel Galileo boards to play with and I was looking for some cool ideas, then I found out some quadcopter videos on youtube.

Since few have the Intel Galileo, and there are many tuts regarding different controllers and not only arduino, is there anyone who wants to help me? Willing to add photos during the preparationg of the quadcopter for guys who will have issues on the future.

last but not least, isnt true that whatever is made to run on arduino can be run on galileo as well? Need any modifications? No worries for the shield cause pins have a gap, easy to be fixed :)

Thanks, Stavros

As I understand it, the only thing the Intel Galileo has in common with other Arduinox, is that it has a similar set of sockets on to which you can mount Arduino shields. As best I know - and do correct me if I am wrong - it is otherwise an entirely different machine.

If you want to “make” a quadcopter - something I myself am considering - you go and buy a kit, possibly one based on the Arducopter project. You assemble it, you learn to fly it (having it tethered is a good start), and once you can fly it with some skill, you can delve into the adjustments to understand what they do, then you can consider trying modifications to the firmware.

If you can do all of this, you might then consider porting it to another processor - though I cannot think of many reasons to do so.

Paul__B: As I understand it, the only thing the Intel Galileo has in common with other Arduinox, is that it has a similar set of sockets on to which you can mount Arduino shields. As best I know - and do correct me if I am wrong - it is otherwise an entirely different machine.

If you want to "make" a quadcopter - something I myself am considering - you go and buy a kit, possibly one based on the Arducopter project. You assemble it, you learn to fly it (having it tethered is a good start), and once you can fly it with some skill, you can delve into the adjustments to understand what they do, then you can consider trying modifications to the firmware.

If you can do all of this, you might then consider porting it to another processor - though I cannot think of many reasons to do so.

thanks for your reply, nah already waiting for two of these devices (Galileo) so buying a 3rd one for quadcopter isnt the best option for me :D As far as I understood the last days, Galileo is an "upgraded" version of Arduino, what I mean is, that I thought u can do what you can do on arduino but Galileo is just better. So I cant use commands and code from Arduino projects? :/

The galileo is not an "upgraded" arduino. It has an x86 chip as well as an arduino built in. The only added benefit you get on the arduino side is the system function and a mini-pci-e port for easy wifi or bluetooth.

The linux side of the board, which uses the quark X86 chip, does have gpio capabilities, allowing you to access the arduino pins.

As far as using it in a quadcopter, you might want to check the power requirements for the galileo board. You cannot power it through the usb port. It requires it's own dedicated 5v (and ONLY 5v) , 3w power adapter.

There is absolutely no added benefit to using this board in a quadcopter (unless you like doing stuff the hard way, which then I can understand).

Also, the quark chip gets hot as hell, even doing nothing. just fyi.

cwhummel:
The galileo is not an “upgraded” arduino. It has an x86 chip as well as an arduino built in. The only added benefit you get on the arduino side is the system function and a mini-pci-e port for easy wifi or bluetooth.

The linux side of the board, which uses the quark X86 chip, does have gpio capabilities, allowing you to access the arduino pins.

As far as using it in a quadcopter, you might want to check the power requirements for the galileo board. You cannot power it through the usb port. It requires it’s own dedicated 5v, 3w power adapter.

There is absolutely no added benefit to using this board in a quadcopter (unless you like doing stuff the hard way, which then I can understand).

Also, the quark chip gets hot as hell, even doing nothing. just fyi.

thanks for ur reply and the clarification about the difference beyond the chip.
Seems like I will abandon the quadcopter for a while till I get at least one project running to learn more about that stuff.

Just to be sure, I can use code from arduino’s projects on my galileo right? :slight_smile:

As for the temp of the chip, its ok. Having too many small heatsinks sitting around :slight_smile:

Just to be sure, I can use code from arduino's projects on my galileo right?

Yes, for the most part. Not all shields and libraries have been tested.

Here is a a link to the Galileo forums. I believe there is a list of what does and doesnt work. https://communities.intel.com/community/makers

As for the temp of the chip, its ok. Having too many small heatsinks sitting around

Surprisingly, it actually doesn't really need a heatsink, just a lot of us have found that it gets really freaking hot. So don't, you know, touch it. Intel chips can handle the heat, though.

But don't give up on the quadcopter. Fun fun fun. just don't use the galileo.

cwhummel:

Just to be sure, I can use code from arduino's projects on my galileo right?

Yes, for the most part. Not all shields and libraries have been tested.

Here is a a link to the Galileo forums. I believe there is a list of what does and doesnt work. https://communities.intel.com/community/makers

As for the temp of the chip, its ok. Having too many small heatsinks sitting around

Surprisingly, it actually doesn't really need a heatsink, just a lot of us have found that it gets really freaking hot. So don't, you know, touch it. Intel chips can handle the heat, though.

But don't give up on the quadcopter. Fun fun fun. just don't use the galileo.

Thanks for the help, will work on this one and will report back. Will not give up on quadcopter but I just feel I have to work on "easier" projects first :)